Any tips on winter cutthroat?

F
Fred
I went fishing for cutthroat yesterday got skunked, but still had fun. I stopped at several places on gales creek and the Wilson River. Gales lower section was to muddy and fast moving to fish but the part up by Dorman pond was clear. I tired panter martins and some nymphs didn't have any luck. However, I did get to explore some good spots that I'll revisit in the summer ;D. Wilson was clear and there was a ton of people fishing for winter steelhead. Got skunked on the Wilson too, but got to go enjoy the beach at Cape Meares and scarf down all of the samples at the remolded Tillamook cheese factor. Any advice on what lures and flies to use?

troutdude
troutdude
Umm...beggin your pardon...but according to page 26 of the ODFW reg book...NW Zone rivers are closed to trout fishing, at this time. Which is why everyone else were angling for winter steel. I'd suggest that you change tactics--and avoid a hefty fine.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Willamette Zone exceptions:

Gales Creek
Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 – Oct 31, 2 per day, 8 inch minimum length, remainder of year catch-and-release.
Open for coho salmon Aug 1 – Oct 31 from mouth to NW Clapshaw Hill Rd.

However, Wilson river, NW zone is open for steelhead now but not for trout! (Opens May 22).

F
Fred
troutdude said:
Umm...beggin your pardon...but according to page 26 of the ODFW reg book...NW Zone rivers are closed to trout fishing, at this time. Which is why everyone else were angling for winter steel. I'd suggest that you change tactics--and avoid a hefty fine.
Someone told me that it was closed to trout fishing, but someone else told me it's just closed to retaining them. I think you can can catch and release all year round on some creeks. I don't know who to believe XD. I guess I'll look in my regs book tonight ugh :(.

F
Fred
rogerdodger said:
Willamette Zone exceptions:

Gales Creek
Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 – Oct 31, 2 per day, 8 inch minimum length, remainder of year catch-and-release.
Open for coho salmon Aug 1 – Oct 31 from mouth to NW Clapshaw Hill Rd.

However, Wilson river, NW zone is open for steelhead now but not for trout! (Opens May 22).
Lol, well I guess I don't need to look in my regs magazine. So yeah it's open all year round for catch-and-realise, sorry that I didn't say I was going to catch-and-release anything I caught. I always catch-and-release the trout i catch at gales creek.

troutdude
troutdude
@Fred the Wilson is not open, until May 22nd. Which means no trout fishing whatsoever. Not even catch n' release.

Happy trails and tight lines! Let us know how you do.

Reactions: rogerdodger
F
Fred
Also, I talked to a guy fishing under that bridge at gales creek, and he showed me a picture of steelhead and a huge cutthorat that he caught on gales creek. The steelhead was like 20in 3lbs, and the cutthroat was like 18 inches. I think steelhead fishing in gales creek is closed year round. I wouldn't target them, but sure would be fun if one went after one of my cutthroat lures.