Any tips for fishing at Progress Lake?

F
Fred
I go by Progress lake every day while commuting to my college. I've fished it three times, twice when it had been recently stocked and the third time was several days ago. The first time I went there I actually caught my largest rainbow trout; I think they were both 20 inches. My second time there I only got a few 8 in trout. Any tips on what to use during the winter and when it hasn't been stocked in a while?

P
pinstriper
Whenever I go there, I just stop in at the growler place for a pint, then call it good.

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Another great rig is a torpedo bobber, 4' of leader, and an Olive Green or Black Woolly Bugger. Pinch a BB sized split shot onto the leader, about 12" above the Bugger. Reel in slowly. Then go even SLOWER! It's a wet fly. And fly's barely move. Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude

I use these colors, and style, of torpedo bobbers. Tie your main line onto the narrow end. And your leader onto the wide end.

F
Fred
I have woolly buggers, but would streamers also work with this rig? Thanks again

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Have never tried streamers. So I don't know. The only other flies I've used, in that fashion, are Teeny Nymphs. My faves--of either Teeny's or Buggers--are Olive Green, Black, Brown, and sometimes other colors.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Fred said:
I have woolly buggers, but would streamers also work with this rig? Thanks again

Yep. Any sort of fly can be used with these bobbers - and woolly buggers, FYI are just a type of streamer. It imitates a leech, but minnow imitations will work as well. Also - micro jigs work well under these.