Any sturgeon left at Kelly Point?

T
Tonymyrs
I was wondering if the banks of Kelly point is still a spot to hook a sturgeon this late in the year?

bass
bass
Tonymyrs said:
I was wondering if the banks of Kelly point is still a spot to hook a sturgeon this late in the year?

I do know that most of the normal sturgeon spots along the Willie are still producing some fish. I am not sure if that carries over to Kelly point or not.

I also wanted to point out that the Columbia is closed to retention. The Willamette will open this Thursday-Saturday and next Thursday-Saturday (unless it closes early with the quota being met). If you are just C&R fishing then this is moot.

Good luck!

T
Tonymyrs
I am fishing C&R right now with my boy, been going down to the point and casting into the colombia and letting the current pull it towards the Willamette, seems to be pretty deep, using squid but thus far no luck. Any pointers?

bass
bass
Tonymyrs said:
I am fishing C&R right now with my boy, been going down to the point and casting into the colombia and letting the current pull it towards the Willamette, seems to be pretty deep, using squid but thus far no luck. Any pointers?

Squid seems like a good bait choice. I usually use anchovies, but I don't believe that bait matters all that much. I fish out of my kayak so I don't really have much to offer in the way of bank fishing advice. Right now the bite is fairly slow in the best spots. However, here are a few spots that I know have produced fish.

One spot that you might want to consider is off of Mary S. Young park. If the water is low enough you can take the walking bridge (45.384918,-122.625114) over to Cedaroak island. I have seen folks bank fishing for sturgeon from there. Also, this spot right here (45.381863,-122.622829) looks like a good bank spot. I have seen folks catch shakers straight out from the main point around to the downstream (protected) side. I fished there twice before I got my kayak and got bites both times but did not hook up.

Here is a good bank spot with deep water next to shore near George Rogers park. Park here (45.407522,-122.654823) and walk down to the water. Fish off the bluff on the upstream side of the big structure. Usually this spot is part of an eddy. This is probably a better spot in high water. With the current so low in the Willie right now it is almost still at this spot (not a good thing). Still might be worth a try and it is a nice shady spot to fish.

Best of luck!

R
rothermel
I caught two yesterday at Kelly Point on sand shrimp. That's what they're biting on for most people out there.

T
Tonymyrs
Any particular time of day for the bite?

R
rothermel
both around 6pm
Tonymyrs said:
Any particular time of day for the bite?