Any steelhead being caught yet?

S
SteelyDan's
Wondering if anyone has heard of any being caught in the system yet. Saw a couple drifters down low the other day so must be some action going on but wondering if anyone has heard anything yet to verify.

O
OnTheDrop
It's the middle of December... Lol.

Fish have been being caught for weeks. .

B
bran_man
Oh yes of course! :) just remember ump tends to be a predominantly wild winter run, so safely release all high finners :)

S
SteelyDan's
I know it's mostly wild for some reason I thought they came up a little later than some of the other coastal rivers. So that's why I was asking. Thanks Bran.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Don't feel too dumb for not knowing. It's a legitimate question to ask. I heard of a few being taken below Sawyers last weekend. I didn't get much detail about it though.
SteelyDan's said:
I know it's mostly wild for some reason I thought they came up a little later than some of the other coastal rivers. So that's why I was asking. Thanks Bran.

F
fishfreak
Yes, they have been pounding them dowm below Sawyer Rapids for a couple weeks. The fish are all stacked up below that fast shoot that they can't get up when the water gets cold and is below 4 feet on the Elkton Umpqua gauage. Last year when it got this way, they killed hundreds of wild steelhead that were seen laying on the bottom at the end of pool. They are just ripping these fish over and over again. These "fisherman" and several "guides" are there every day. These people make me sick. ODFW got several complaints last year from people seeing all the dead fish down there on the bottom. That place (Sawyer Rapids) should be closed to angling Dec 1st through Mar. 30th

M
madturtle
I floated from Elkton to Sawyer rapids boat launch on Friday. I caught and released a 10 lb wild hen steelhead. My buddies girlfriend caught and released a 15 lb wild buck steelhead. The river was 4.3 feet and Gin clear. Getting through Harts rapids was a bit tricky.