Any salmon action yet!?

B
bran_man
So took the last couple days off from fishing since it been slow. Just wanted to hear from people if they have heard of/ seen any nooks were being caught on the mckenzie yet? I know steelies are getting caught here and there ( I haven't caught one for about 3 weeks now) but I'm interested in the salmon. Still a little early but not too far away...what you guys have for me? I want to hear some good news people!

J
JeannaJigs
Two caught yesterday on the lower river. I ate part of one for breakfast. Sadly, I did not catch them, but, yeah they're definitely in.

S
Steelyfishn
Mac

Mac

I have gone on the Mac Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday mostly Salmon fishing and haven't touched 1.2 steelhead though... There is a few being caught but really just a few. I talked to a few guides and they have had slow to moderate days this week. Fishing should pick up here very soon though...

N
natro
I've been heading up to the river for the last few days. I haven't heard or seen anything dealing with salmon yet. I was a bit curious about that too though. I saw 1 steelhead caught yesterday from a boat, and I headed up to the river in the afternoon today. I ended up hooking into a beautiful steely. It got aerial about 4 times and busted my 8lb test in mid air. Sucks, I kept playing that scenario over and over in my head afterwards, LOL. I moved up to 10lb test for the rest of the trip, think I'll keep it at 10lbs for my test til the river comes down a bit more I guess. It was a great time though. Probably head back up tomorrow in the afternoon.

L
LilCorky
I would think that at least on the McKenzie they should be thinking about shutting down Salmon Fishing for now. With the low and I mean low counts over Oregon City there must be a dismal amount of Wild Fish comming over. I would like to fish but we need to protect the wild run too.

B
bran_man
I agree with that! But that is also why retention of native chinook is illegal on the mckenzie. Granted there will be poachers here and there ( and those type of people won't care if its closed for salmon anyways) so the native species generally speaking will go to continue their journey either way. I think closing it entirely seems a bit drastic. But I would not oppose to special regs such as barbless hooks etc...

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
I agree with that! But that is also why retention of native chinook is illegal on the mckenzie. Granted there will be poachers here and there ( and those type of people won't care if its closed for salmon anyways) so the native species generally speaking will go to continue their journey either way. I think closing it entirely seems a bit drastic. But I would not oppose to special regs such as barbless hooks etc...

I think it should be barbless. But good luck on getting the salmon season closed on the mac... Uhh i been out on the mac the last few weeks, have seena few steelies caught, heard of a few solid take downs from the nooks. Salmon are gettin caught on the willy tho... The mac is runnin high and fast still. few more weeks and the fishing should turn on.

N
natro
Figured I'd post my experience from today fishing since this thread talks about McKenzie salmon. Well, I'm really not totally sure what I hooked into this morning. Got on the river about 6:45am, and at about 9:30am I got into a fish. It fought for a few seconds, and then decided to seriously jet down river. It kind of took me by suprise. I'm just looking at my reel whizzing and lines flying off the spool. I realize this fish isn't stopping and thinking it might take all my line I tighten the drag up. It's still not stopping or even slowing down. So i tighten the drag up even more...and it's still not stopping or slowing. This things treating my reel like it doesn't even have a drag on it. So I tighten it up even more trying to slow this fish down a bit, it slowed down and it fights a little bit...then snap. My 10lb leader broke. I was in a spot where I couldn't follow it down river which really sucked. I seriously thought this fish was going to spool me. Well, I'm glad that just the leader broke instead of it having 150+ yards of line hanging from it. It was the only action I saw on the river today. I thought this might have been a salmon because I've never had a steelhead try to spool me like that before, and this fish never did try to get acrobatic, it just ran. Any thoughts?? I'm debating heading out again here in a few hours.

B
bran_man
Well it sounds more like a salmon than a steelhead. I've had some pretty hard fighting steelhead, but the difference between the 2 is pretty distinguishable. Just by the sound of the fight you had this morning sounds to me like you had a chinook on.

N
natro
I decided to go ahead and give it another try this morning. I got to my spot at 8am, and just as I was pulling up a guy was leaving. He already had 2 fish and was on his way out. I decided to give it a shot. I spent from 8am til 6pm, and never got anything. I saw 6 fish hooked, with two of them landed. And I did see a salmon make an appearance just before I was going to leave. Seems like anytime I was thinking about taking off someone around me would get into a fish. Still was a good time out on the river, and the weather stayed decent. Hopefully the weather stays alright for a few days. Figure I'll be back up there tomorrow morning.