Any Recommendations?

T
Texas Basser
I've decided to switch to the dark side and take up fly fishing.... This should a great learning experience as I have limited experience fly fishing. Does anyone know of a good beginners book that goes over the basics of fly fishing?

S
Spydeyrch
I would say visit your local library. Orvis has a couple of good books out there. Get your hands on anything you can and read, read, read. Also, there is no substitute for practice. If you can get a friend or some one that already fly fishes to go with you and teach you the ropes, that is extremely helpful. If you have time, listen to some podcasts, visit youtube, ask questions here on OFF.

Good luck!

Oh, and it isn't the dark side. You are leaving that place and coming to a much better, place. This better place is commonly known as Heaven or Nirvana. :D :lol:

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
Practice Makes Better not Perfect!

Practice Makes Better not Perfect!

Start with some YouTube video or arrange for a lesson from a fellow OFF-er who can get you started. Just be sure that when you practice it is on grass or water and never dirt, gravel, concrete or asphalt.:mad: One thing you do not want to do is ruin your floating line before you get a chance to put it in the water. Floating lines have a coating on them and abrasions will damage the coating and let water in making the line sink.

Tell us where you are and when would be the best time to get together and I'm sure someone will step up to the bank and help up get started.

GD

T
Texas Basser
I've come across a few good looking books on Amazon that have good reviews. I might pick a few up for some light reading. @ GDBrown I'm in the Eugene area and weekends are best for me. I never thought to check out YouTube.. I'll have to browse it some today while at work ;)

T
Trout
Welcome --- checkout all your local fly shops. Many have free or reduced price classes on casting or fly fishing basics. Time and money well spent. Get a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto its a bit dated but its packed with info presented visually and with humor.

Good luck

M
Mad dog
Trout said:
Welcome --- checkout all your local fly shops. Many have free or reduced price classes on casting or fly fishing basics. Time and money well spent. Get a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto its a bit dated but its packed with info presented visually and with humor.

Good luck

+1 on Curtis creek manisfesto!!! An excellent begginers book!

+1 on flycasting basics.....your local community college might offer a flyfishing class, or spend time with the local flyshop pro's getting lessons....money well spent!

T
Texas Basser
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm a graduate student at UofO and I was going to check if there were any courses offered. My wife and I are planning a camping trip in the next few weeks. A friend of ours suggested Hosmer Lake - apparently it is a fly-fishing-only lake. Maybe we will spend a few days out there...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Texas Basser....Trout and Mad Dog are right on target with the Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson. Another good book is Fly Fishing Basics. I'm an Oregon guy bread and born but am on loan to Texas for a while. While I'm here I'm teaching some of my grand kids to fly fish and tie flies. Those are the two book I chose to bring with me from Oregon to help teach them. They are not in high school yet but are getting it down even tying some flies. If you can get a copy of Scott Richmonds Fishing the Cascade Lake it will help you out with Hosmer Lake.

The kids and I were reading the chapter in fly fishing basics that dealt with bass. Being in Texas now I figured I better get that one down, and if you know where to fish for bass in the Texas Hill country please send me a PM.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Irishrover said:
Texas Basser....Trout and Mad Dog are right on target with the Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson. Another good book is Fly Fishing Basics. I'm an Oregon guy read and born but am on loan to Texas for a while. While I'm here I'm teaching some of my grand kids to fly fish and tie flies. Those are the two book I chose to bring with me from Oregon to help teach them. They are not in high school yet but are getting it down even tying some flies. If you can get a copy of Scott Richmands Fishing the Cascade Lake it will help you out with Hosmer Lake.

The kids and I were reading the chapter in fly fishing basics that dealt with bass. Being in Texas now I figured I better get that one down, and if you know where to fish for bass in the Texas Hill country please send me a PM.

they should have a cabelas there with a tank full of em! waa,haaa;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
halibuthitman said:
they should have a cabelas there with a tank full of em! waa,haaa;)

No Cabelas, it's all Bass Pro down here and you don't want to know how much they charge for Jameson:shock:

T
Texas Basser
Irishrover - pm sent.

T
Texas Basser
Just ordered a copy of Curtis Creek Manisfesto from Amazon...

Irishrover
Irishrover
You'll enjoy it. The athor has a great deal of hummor in his style. Also thanks for the tips.