Any recommendations on using the disabled access platform?

J
J4excellence
I get around in a wheelchair and would like to try that special access platform at Nehalem Hatchery. I don't know much about steelhead fishing and my research online shows that there are a variety of approaches and rigging setups used for steelhead.

I'm wondering what particular approach might be best suited to catching one from a wheelchair off that platform. I met a guy by the name of Marc Davis a few years back who first told me about the special access platform. I understand he's a veteran steelhead fisherman, but I can't seem to locate his contact information online.

Any tips or direction for other resources would be greatly appreciated. I've never caught a steelhead before, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Wheelchair Fishing.gif

S
slimyguts
I have been there. Right at the area is more suitable for spinner or driftin bait off the bottom. not quite deep enough to run a bobber setup but you could try. I would try drift fishin night crawlers or spinners. Good luck to ya.

H
halibuthitman
that platform has a major failing... its only 30' below the deadline wire, with a boulder strewn bottom forward of the deadline causing the water there to be a tail-out steelhead WILL lay on bettween our behind slick rock hard bottom or boulders every time.. so the fish all pile up up there, often there will be 20-30 fish above the deadline holding and nothing in the water in front of the platform, but Its not hopeless, just some info for you. I know a lot of places you can fish from a wheelchair, and would be glad to show you.-Brad

F
frodog
I have seen tons of fish landed from this access point. Most of the fish I have seen caught there are on a jig under a float about 2 ft. down and casted to the far side nearest the grass patch right below the deadline and drifted back uunder the tree. Hope this helps.

J
J4excellence
Thanks for the help on this. I think I'm going to try the float and jig setup and see how that works. I'm waiting for the right conditions. I understand right now it's a little slow, although the Nehalem Hatchery hotline indicated a couple caught yesterday. I'll post a photo if I happen to catch one.