Any recent Diamond Lake reports?

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I am going to be taking my son and wife up to diamond lake for a few days next weekend. I was curious if anyone has been up there recently and could give me a report. Thanks!

DOKF
DOKF
Diamond Lake Charlie recently posted a report. Search for Diamond Lake on this forum.

Reactions: troutdude
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
DOKF said:
Diamond Lake Charlie recently posted a report. Search for Diamond Lake on this forum.
I saw that, I was looking for a more recent report than may 9th. Thanks though

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
O.mykiss The best thing I would suggest is to call the boat house. I talked to one of the guys up there a few days ago as I was going tomorrow but my fishing partner came down ill. He told me he had been catching them from the bank and most of the fish in the boats that were bottom fishers were catching at the cheese hole. In the spring I fish the kids hole, yes I have a boat and I can fish various depths. Only thing that smokes my pole was one day last spring I a boat casting distance plus just out fish me. but that is life. Since it is still early yet try to find you a spot with no moss. If you have a boat take a few sheets of fabric softener with you. If your boat is open then place them around the boat, if you have an enclosed cabin that is open in the back put a couple in the cabin. I hope you are aware of the20"+ option

DOKF
DOKF
What are the fabric softener sheets for?

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
They will keep the bugs away or at least help. I have used them in my boat, in the cabin and had very few if any in the cabin and my poles have been loaded with bugs. I have used them for years.. when I first learned about them years ago I talked with a gal who took her dogs and went hiking a lot. She would rub her dogs down with them and her legs and other parts of her clothing, . She said it helped keep the tics away, I am not sure but that is what she told me. I will tell you this much, I have had a boat with a cloth cabin for going on 12 years now and I have used them for a long time and I have only had trouble with bugs at Diamond one time and that was a time I did not use the sheets..In my cabin I hang a couple on the rib on top, no or few bugs. No I don't know what brand. Not that important other than you can handle the smell of the ones you put up. One other thing, wash your hands after hanging them with soap and water and before you bait up. I put some of the power bait on my hands and roll it around and toss it, not a lot is needed. then if the bite slows down do it again....you will be surprised at how much you scent will stop the bite..

Last edited:
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
My buddy went up last week late and anchored with power bait at the south end and did quite well.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I don't fish the south end much but when I do I do very well. these are all for power bait. Here are a couple of hints, try to cast into the areas with little or no weeds. If you are under about 10 feet use 2 to 3 foot of leader DEPENDING ON YOUR DEPTH, anything over that use 4 to 6 foot of leader. Before you bait up rub a bit of power bait onto your hands and do a good job them toss that bait into the water. What this does is kill the scent on your hands, when you catch rate slows down change leaders, when the fish are caught the put a scent on your leader that will deter other fish from biting.. If you can put your floating bait above or in the middle of where the fish are hanging.. Trout like salmon and other fish hunt from below and can look up easily but have a hard time looking down. I use an ajust a bubble. It is a plastic bubble, not a red white round bubble. Fill it full of water with NO air bubbles,IF IT FLOATS IT HAS AN AIR BUBBLE IN IT. I have a small bucket i put water it for things I nowrally have to bend over the boat for. I put mine above the swivel and let it slide on the line. A friend of mine will use it to set the depth of his bait by not having a swivel and twists the rubber inside of the bubble and he is the only one besides my son who I have ever had out fish me, HEe was a river guide before he retired. When the bobber hits the water the only weight is the plastic and it does not sink like a lead weight and will set higher in the weed thus putting your bait out of the weeds..DO NOT SET THE HOOK on normal strikes, the fish will do that for you.. leave a small amount of slack in your line this is hard I know but put your pole down in a holder if you have one and when the fish tries to take your pole he normally is already hooked because he has swallowed the bait. I use either a number 6 or 8 single egg hook or a18 treble hook. I have taught this system to more than a few and it will out fish a lead sinker 9.5 times more. If you don't have a bite in 15 to 20 minutes then move your bait.. Nothing in an hour then move your boat. Sometimes it only takes a few feet. Good luck and enjoy DLC

Last edited:
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Well we went up to diamond for the weekend and did pretty well. It was not hot like everyone was saying but we found fish and very high quality fish. We fished the north end of the lake known as the “cheese hole.” We fished around 30’ of water mostly used whole night crawlers. We caught a total of 15 fish and had three break off. Smallest fish was 14” largest was right around 20.” All were VERY fat fish. Here’s the interesting thing, all of the fish were stuffed full of 2”-3” leaches. Makes me wonder if using a leach imitation might be a killer🤔. We caught one brown and one tiger, which were released unharmed. Bugs weren’t too bad, but the wind was ferocious and chased us off between 11 and 12 each day. Not much of an evening bite at all, it was a morning show. Tight lines!

Reactions: jamisonace