Any one doing the sturgeon two step tomarrow?

O
oregon4wheeler
going to the willamette to bank fish sturgeon on 2-27-10 anyone else going?

B
beaverfan
where ya going?

O
oregon4wheeler
I havent decided. probably the point. Have you heard any info on hot locals lately?

B
beaverfan
Nope not from the bank, I've just recently picked up bank fishing for them. I usually do it from a boat but want to land an oversize from shore.

O
oregon4wheeler
sounds fun. I recently started fishing for sturgeon. I heard they can get quiet large. where do you go to target the oversized from the bank? I heard they like heavy current.

H
halibuthitman
you and the 210 competitors in the sturgeon tournament tommorrow... good luck on finding a spot.... If you see a guy doin 140 mph in a 16' lund.... wave.. good fishin guys

S
slimyguts
Best place I know to catch oversized from the bank is at Bonniville Dam. There is a fishing area below the hatchery. Dont have to cast far. Ususally get some great fights only 20 to 30 feet out from the bank. The water is deep and swirls around right there.

S
santiamsailor
saw 5 keepers landed today under the Sellwood by two guys 20 feet from me.. to bad its Sunday.. I just got a shaker:(

S
Swamp Puppy
halibuthitman said:
you and the 210 competitors in the sturgeon tournament tommorrow... good luck on finding a spot.... If you see a guy doin 140 mph in a 16' lund.... wave.. good fishin guys

Which derby were you in? I was in the Johnny's derby saturday, but heard that there was another one going on someplace.

We fished in the MC and it was a zoo. not so much the sturgeon boats, but the salmon trollers were killin' me with all the running up and down the river. I saw 2 boats that i am not sure if they even got a line wet. they blasted by us going up river...then 10 minutes later they would go blasting back down. up - down - up - down - up - down.....they might have been fishing though. can you troll herring at 40mph? lol. :)

Managed 2 shakers and had one that felt heavy break off. There were a couple nice fish brought it for measuring, but i don't think they were caught anywhere around where we were.

H
halibuthitman
I was in the johnnys tourney, released a 42 at 8;30 but fishing was very slow, saw four springers caught, and only saw 3 sturgeon caught.... I had to quit at 11;30 due to a serious boat issue, bummed me out. Spoke with an older fella who was there when they measured the winner, said it looked like it had been dead for a couple days...

M
Mike123
If Ol' Commodore S doesn't' flake again, Thursday, should be out there. haha

S
Swamp Puppy
halibuthitman said:
I was in the johnnys tourney, released a 42 at 8;30 but fishing was very slow, saw four springers caught, and only saw 3 sturgeon caught.... I had to quit at 11;30 due to a serious boat issue, bummed me out. Spoke with an older fella who was there when they measured the winner, said it looked like it had been dead for a couple days...

yeah, they have had a few instances where it was suspected that the winning fish had been caught well before the derby day. too bad. i hadn't heard anything about that this year year though. it is a pretty tight crowd down there, so if it comes out, i am sure i'll be hearing about it soon enough.