any one been jig fishing

kirkster
kirkster
I just have a question about it. I have jet boat fished the clack. for years which is what I call my home river. But have S.H. fished every river from the coast to the snake. I have always done very well with all the other tactics. but never got introduced to the jig and bobber.I have learned how to rig between summer fish and winter fish but Im not sure of the distance my bobber and jig are supposed to be from each other. And do you mostly fish in slow moving water or can you fish what would normaly be a good bottom drift run??? any info would Thanks.:think:

H
here2fish
jigs

jigs

Hi,

Jig fishing with a bobber can be productive in slow water or fast water. And yes can be productive where you would typically drift.

The main trick to jig fishing is setting the depth correctly.

Typically their going to be close to the bottom so that where you want your jig. My favorite way to bobber fish (and the most popular way) is with a slip bobber.

I will usually set my bobber stop at the depth I think the bottom is, and try to get it hitting the bottom on the first cast.

Then I bring it in and move it up about 6 inches. If it is still hitting bottom bring it up a bit until your about 6-12 inches off the bottom.

kirkster
kirkster
thanks a lot. whats a good bobber that you prefer?

M
Mike123
Those clear Drennan floats are good, along with West Coasts, Thills, and I like to use just plain round cork floats in the smaller sizes.

Remember to mend your line and get the line laying upstream of the float and in faster water sometimes you need to hold back slightly on the float to get the jig or bait downstream before the float. Presentation can be everything sometimes.

H
here2fish
Those drennan ones are pretty smooth. They are clear so the fish can't see them. But..... I usually use beau macs. They are cheap and work well. People will tell you that they are too colorful for summer fishing because the fish can see them. But I have always had good luck in low clear water.

If your fishing real low and clear you can paint them brown with spray paint. This gives it a more natural look.

Oh and make sure to use the correct size bobber for the weight of jig.

Bobber should drift perfectly vertical if it lays over add weight or use a smaller bobber.

Oh and the way to tell if your junk is dragging bottom: bobber tilted down stream and moving slower than current.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishtopher
kirkster
kirkster
Thanks for all the info

J
JeannaJigs
What they said...and I will add that if you use braided line once with a float...you will never go back to mono.

Braid gives you a better presentation with less drag...floats, easy to mend. jigging with mono after using braid is the worst experience ever.

H
here2fish
hmmmmm

hmmmmm

:think:

never really messed with braid. always used mono (usually maxima) with flourocarbon leaders.

I seem to remember back when braids first got popular with the release of that spiderwire stuff, that one of my buddies was using it and it sucked. So i have never tried.

What are the pros aside from the ones you listed and what would you say some of the cons are?

M
Mike123
Braid floats...
But with Low clear water steelhead I would just go with 8 to 10 lb mono as mainline and 6-8lb flouro leader.

D
dude young
I've got a spool full of Fireline Crystal. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but does anyone have any opinions? It looks just like dental floss, white in color. I assume it will be easy to see on the water, was told it will float high and be easy to mend, but handles like mono. One thing I was thinking of trying was to tie 6-8 feet of flouro leader to my mainline before my swivel and 18" more flouro leader. I use blood knots to connect the leader to main so it can pass though the guides as easily as possible.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and jigs... ...can someone recommend a particular pattern/brand/size...? When you all say small, I have some micro-jigs that I used to use for ice fishing for trout and pan fish. They are wee, like size 12 or 14 hook size. I assume, too small for steel, yes?

How about dangling nymph flies below the boober? The split shot and weight of the boober would be enough to make the cast?

J
JeannaJigs
here2fish said:
:think:

never really messed with braid. always used mono (usually maxima) with flourocarbon leaders.

I seem to remember back when braids first got popular with the release of that spiderwire stuff, that one of my buddies was using it and it sucked. So i have never tried.

What are the pros aside from the ones you listed and what would you say some of the cons are?
The castability is much better, it flies off a spinning reel sooo smooth, and the diameter is much thinner per pound strength to mono, so the spool can hold more of it :) Spiderwire is crap, I hate it, but I use P-Line and love it. I just like that it floats, and doesn't create drag, with floats it's just easier, in my opinion. I wasn't sure about it at first because it's so thin and didn't look like it could hold up, but I've never broke off because of braid fail, that stuff doesn't break for anything. I use a flourocarbon leader so the visibility of the braid isn't an issue either. In the end it all comes down to line control, and I feel I have better control with the braid and can get a better presentation. I do however keep a spool of mono to swap out if I decide to drift, as the braid isn't so awesome for drift. They each have their place.

J
JeannaJigs
dude young said:
I've got a spool full of Fireline Crystal. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but does anyone have any opinions? It looks just like dental floss, white in color. I assume it will be easy to see on the water, was told it will float high and be easy to mend, but handles like mono. One thing I was thinking of trying was to tie 6-8 feet of flouro leader to my mainline before my swivel and 18" more flouro leader. I use blood knots to connect the leader to main so it can pass though the guides as easily as possible.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and jigs... ...can someone recommend a particular pattern/brand/size...? When you all say small, I have some micro-jigs that I used to use for ice fishing for trout and pan fish. They are wee, like size 12 or 14 hook size. I assume, too small for steel, yes?

How about dangling nymph flies below the boober? The split shot and weight of the boober would be enough to make the cast?
Jig size depends on the water/time of year fishing...but right now I've been running 1/32 and 1/64 oz #4's in black/red/white combinations. I know a lot of guys are running smaller, but I don't have much faith in hooks smaller lol, it's a mental thing for me. I'm sure they could do the job, but, I just can't accept it lol. ONE DAY I will break down and get some smaller hooks and tie up some itty bittys

H
here2fish
jigs

jigs

Micro jig= size 4 or 5 hook with very small head or dumbell eyes. I dont know if they sell em in the stores, I make my own. Pretty easy to do, and cheap.

Check out steelhead stalkers site, I know he sells em.

SS you out there?

kirkster
kirkster
I hear ya about the braided. I switched about a year ago for drift fishing. The sesativity is awesome, no way I would go back to mono. Plus I saved enough $$$ in lead to probably by a new bobber rod lol. Thanks for the info.

T
Troutier Bassier
A way I found out how to make Braided Float, (Sorta) is to Cast your bobber rod out and let out some more line then your gonna need, Take a Candle. Hold it so your Line is being Pushed on the Candle, And reel in.

The Candle wax makes the line Float.

M
Mike123
Troutier Bassier said:
A way I found out how to make Braided Float, (Sorta) is to Cast your bobber rod out and let out some more line then your gonna need, Take a Candle. Hold it so your Line is being Pushed on the Candle, And reel in.

The Candle wax makes the line Float.

That's actually not a bad idea!