Any luck for anyone at Meldrum Bar

A
Axlave
Been there twice with no luck, tons of people plunking from their cars. Hardly any room for anyone to feel comfortable. Anyone been down their with any luck?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sure wish I could say yes, but Momma would wash my mouth out with soap. Not much swinging room is the norm up there. Keep at it, you're bound to get into 'em.

B
bernduffy
I stopped by the Mel at 6am Saturday on my way up the Clack & Eagle .. One of the less cranky guys said he'd seen "about thirty" winter steelhead caught there "last week"....which probably translates in realistic terms to about twenty caught in the last two weeks. If you like that kind of scene, it's time to go for it, especially with levels dropping. Looks like a promising run.

G
GDBrown
bernduffy said:
I stopped by the Mel at 6am Saturday on my way up the Clack & Eagle .. One of the less cranky guys said he'd seen "about thirty" winter steelhead caught there "last week"....which probably translates in realistic terms to about twenty caught in the last two weeks. If you like that kind of scene, it's time to go for it, especially with levels dropping. Looks like a promising run.

Where ther many boats in the area?

GD

A
Axlave
ehhh every once in awhile a boat would pass by, and just one today was chilling in the mouth of the clackamas. Yeah im gunna keep trying, hope to catch my first steelhead that i can keep.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I'm sure someone with a lot more 'expertise' will correct me if I'm wrong but, I try not to cast way out for steel. I believe they run within 15-30 feet from shore. I always laugh at the contrast of those in boats and the bankers*. Boat fisher folk cast toward shore while bankers cast as far as they can toward the middle of the river. What's the scoop on casting distance?

*I like the term 'bankers' much better than 'bankies'...sounds more impressive, don't you think? lol

A
Axlave
What i was taught was to go not even 10-15 ft away from shore. And if you can spot where the water is separated from fast and slow...that would be a good spot.... maybe im wrong tho?

R
rippin fish lips
Axlave said:
What i was taught was to go not even 10-15 ft away from shore. And if you can spot where the water is separated from fast and slow...that would be a good spot.... maybe im wrong tho?

no u r correct!

P
plumb2fish
I prefer bank maggott...lol especially since I can now choose not to be one

B
bryasch
went down there at first light just to stop and give it a try. was there for mabe a hour see 2 fish pulled in. only mabe 20 people fishing

W
wmccabe
Anybody ever fish the mouth of the Clack from the Clackamette park side? Any luck?

G
GDBrown
wmccabe said:
Anybody ever fish the mouth of the Clack from the Clackamette park side? Any luck?

Not many people fish from that side because the fish heading up the Clack will hug the inside (downstream) bank on their way up river.

W
wmccabe
Makes sense. Thanks