Any info would be nice

N
nativefish
Well i got the toon. its an 8ft southfork from bucks bags. I need to get some oars for it.... so any info on what kind i should get would be nice. Any good places to get information about rafting that are free? I need all the advice and tips i can get about floating a river in a pontoon before i actually go for it. I am gonna start on the clackamas as this is the river i have the most experience floating in. I have had a little practice on the oars in a drift boat and have floated the river in other peoples boats around 15-20 times. I have just never done it the whole way at the oars. Sooooo any tips?

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's the same pontoon I have. I'll get some photos of the oars. They are aluminum with plastic paddles. My Bucks bag has plastic oar locks which are not the best for floating a fiver. They are too easy to bust in ruff water. For river travel I'd upgrade those plastic oar locks to something more stout. I use it mostly on lakes on warm days. If you do float a river on that rig I'd use the buddy system and take another tooner along. I'll go get some shots of those oars now..

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here are some oar pics of the bucks bag south fork. Top three pictures

1. Bucks Bag Oar broken down into two pieces. You put the oar lock on the oar and slide the oar together.

2. The Bucks Bag Oar Lock. Note the oar can not come out, even if you hit something on your way down the river. Not necessarily a good thing.

3. Bucks Bag in the oar lock on the toon.

Pics 4 & 5 standard oar locks on my drift boat that allow the oar to pop free if you should hit some
obstruction in the river. The oar has a cord on it should it pop out and try to float away.

I like the standard oar locks when I'm floating a river. That's where the drift boat comes into play. I feel just fine usuing that 8 foot South Fork on small lakes where I'm not real worried about nailing something with an oar. This is just my opinion, other folks my have different ideas. Just stay safe and have fun!;)

A new set of oars is $40, Scotty Oar locks are $20, and Brass regular oar locks are $30

Here is Bucks webb page if you want to get oars from them.

Buck's Bags

Last edited:
N
nativefish
is the 8ft capable of handling a river? and will the brass oar locks be able to swap out for the ones that came with the bucks bag?

N
nativefish
also, looking into getting two rod holers, one for each side so i dont have to fiddle around depending on which side of the river i want to float.... probably some cheapies like scottie or eagle claw, and do you have any info on where i could get a replacement seat. All in all by the time i finish repair and additions i should be into the boat for less than it cost to purchase new.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The brass oar locks will swap out out with the plastic ones. They both have 1/2 inch shafts. You can order them right from Bucks Bag, you can also order a new seat from them as well as just about anything you need for the toon. Some folks who post on here have done a lot of toon improvement, but I bet the pictures got lost when the site moved to a new server. I have one rod holder mounted on the left side.

I have never used the toon on a river. I have the drift boat for that, but lots of folks do use them. It depends on the river. I have friends who use 8' toons on the North Fork of the Nehalem and lower Clackamams ( Barton to Carver). I would just recomend going with someone.

You are right about the price. Those Bucks Bag South Forks are up to near $800 when new.

N
nativefish
got a rod holder and two mounts today so i can swap sides, shopped around and looks like im ordering oars and oar locks and seat off the internet, hope shipping doesn't cost as much as the products.

N
nativefish
okay, status update on the pontoon.... I got the rod holders, two mounts. And two new oars, brass oar locks, new seat, oar stops, oar sleeves, and a little inflation valve are in the mail, hopefully to arrive this week. Im praying the weather stabalizes so i can test this bad ass rig out on sometime in the next two weeks. Cost of new boat is 800, im in it 650 + got to get a PFD. All in all i made out about 100 under retail and its got every accessorie i think that i will need besides additional storage. Some of you fellow tooners are gonna have to PM so we can get out there and have some fun together. didn't get an instruction manual with it since i bought it used so the next question is how many ppsi should i inflate the toons?

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
There is no specific ppsi. The manual says firm and wrinkle free ( we are talking toons here). Here is the mannual, you can print it out. How are you set up for an anchor and anchor rope? Looks like you are getting that thin ready. Just remembered you need to have a whistle on the toon along with your pfd.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
well i got the anchor release mounted on the foot extension and it goes back to a pully with a caraibiner on it. Has the bucks bags anchor exentsion on it when i purchased it. not sure what kind of anchor to pick up, thinking like 4 or 5 lb pryamind should do the trick. i want to go as light as possible but enough to hold me if i choose to anchor. Any advice. What do you run on the drift boat? i figure i could use probably about half the weight of a standard drift boat pryamid anchor, is that reasonable? I got 100 ft of anchor rope. And didn't think about the whistle thanks for the tip on that. any other useful items to pack, such as aqua seal and tape for a puncture? pump of course, collapsable net. Another question i plan on taking three rods, one bobber rod, one plug rod, and a drift/spinner rod. Plan on trying a little side drifting which may result in a lot of snags since my rod would be in the rod holder while im on the oars and pulling some plugs which shouldnt be a problem since most of the work with that comes from oaring anyway. so what would be the best way to pack these multiple rods with me. Have you seen any handy accessories that keep them out of the way. Mount a couple of pieces of pvc pipe on there so they can stand upright behind the seat? I could always have them broken down and bungied to the back cargo area just worried about if i am bumping around a couple hundred dollars worth of rods and reels is donated to the river. Im just trying to get as much info as i can before i head out and you have been like my life coach through this. I REAAALLLY REALLLY appreciate all the information and communication you have given me so far. THANK YOU so much Irishrover!

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
You are welcome for the help. It's what I like about this forum. As for the anchor system I have the same set up that you do. I use a 12lbs pyramid weight. On the drift boat I use a 35lbs pyramid weight. It's best to keep the rods horizontial. I learned that the hard way on the river in the drift boat. Sometime you need to drift close into shore and there may be low over hanging limbs. If the rods are verticle the trees tend to snap off the tips. I almost lost two rods that way. Now I lay them down horizontially to avoid that. Bi Mart has foam plastic rod holders that hold up to four rods for transport. You might try a set of them. I use them on the drift boat and I have seen guides use them on pontoons. You are right about snags, working the oars and fishing at the same time is a hard thing. Sometimes it is easier to use the toon for transportation and pull up to the shore to fish. You will figure out a system I'm sure.

N
nativefish
Alright, i guess all i got left to get is a anchor, probably a ten lbs pryamid, or 12 whatever i can find i suppose.