Any good ideas for a group camp?

S

Spydeyrch

So I have been charged with the responsibility, again, to plan my church congregation's yearly camp-out, and I need some ideas of places to go.🙏

I need to make sure that it meets a few requirements such as cost ($), driving time/distance, number of tent sites, any group sites if possible, recreation areas, nothing too difficult. Basically a park-n-camp kind of an area.:confused:

The places that we have been to in the past are:

Camp Wilkerson County Park - Near Vernonia, OR
Silver Falls State Park - Near Silverton, OR
Saddle Mountain State Park - Near Seaside, OR

There have been a number of other places but I didn't go those years so I don't remember where they were at.

I have researched a few places but haven't been to many of them. I usually like to go to a wilderness and hike into the camp site; so choosing a site/place for a congregation of people, all with varying skill and experience is proving to be, again, somewhat difficult.:confused:

I have created a google map of the areas that I have researched and think would be acceptable for our yearly camp-out but I feel that I might be missing some prime locations that I am not aware of.

Honestly, I really don't like the whole state park or county park camping system. I feel like I am getting charged an arm and a leg to sleep for a single night in a community/neighborhood of tents/RVs. Not really my idea of camping, but to each his/her own. And I shouldn't judge. :naughty: For some, that may be the only way that they can get out and enjoy some time away from all the hustle-n-bustle, which is wonderful for them. :dance:

I just wish that I could find a way to get this group into the wilderness (National Forest) areas. :think: It would be cheaper, $5 a family for one night!!!! We could camp basically anywhere we wanted to, and we would have a TON of privacy. But not all of them can hike, plus I have to keep in mind the driving distance and time constraints.

We all live in the Beaverton/Hillsboro/Forest Grove area and last year we went to Camp Wilkerson. I got a ton of complaints about the distance, time to drive there, a lot of them got lost, etc.

Anywho, any ideas, input, thoughts, suggestions that you all might have would be awesome!!

Oh, and if it could have some fishing (primarily for me, hehehehehehehehe) that would be a HUGE PLUS!!! 🙏🙏:dance::dance:

Thanks again everyone. Take care!

-Spydey

EDIT: Sorry, I never exactly stated what our restrictions are as far as what I mentioned before.

Cost per site - The lower the better (obviously. :) ) But anything over $20 per site is pushing it.

Driving distance/Driving time - I think that Tillamook to the west would be the farthest anyone would go; Salem or just a smidge past Salem to the south; Mt. Hood to the east, and I really didn't look for parks in Washington State but I would have to say that maybe a little south of Olympia. Basically about 1 - 1.5 hours driving distance in any direction is our max distance/time.

Number of sites - No one owns any RVs so all tent camping. Last year we had 12 sites with two tents in every site and packed to the limit. I think we had about 95 people. So anything from 12 - 15 sites is preferable. Also, each site should be able to fit a max of 6 - 8 people. There are some that say a max of 4, that won't do. Plus there might be a need of having 2 tents per site and two vehicles per site too.

Easy access - The vehicles need to be park-able near by, preferably at the test site. Also need to have some kind of a recreation area, i.e. field to play in, streams to swim in, trails to hike on, etc.

Oh, and the dates are probably going to be in either mid July or late July.

Thanks again guys. :)

Last edited:
C_Run

C_Run

Did you check Camp Tadmor by Sweet Home? They are set up for groups and there is plenty to do for kids. Don't know the cost.

S

Spydeyrch

Did you check Camp Tadmor by Sweet Home? They are set up for groups and there is plenty to do for kids. Don't know the cost.

Hadn't even heard of it before. But I will deffinately look into it. Thanks a ton for the info, it is very much appreciated.

Any other takers?

-Spydey

C

capblack

sweet home is over 1 1/2 hrs, but if you would make the drive, id recomend sunnyside on foster res. its got playgrounds, a fishing pond, horse shoes, volleyball, lots of showers, and of course foster for fishing and swimming

C

capblack

also check out fox creek group camp. its above detroit on breitenbush road. it has its own restrooms, but you have to bring water. its only $40 per night for the whole crew. not sure about the number of people allowed, but it would be worth checking into

C

capblack

thats probably a long way to go with 100 people in tow. but i agree thats an awesome place to camp, if you go when the bugs arent too bad

troutdude

troutdude

sweet home is over 1 1/2 hrs, but if you would make the drive, id recomend sunnyside on foster res. its got playgrounds, a fishing pond, horse shoes, volleyball, lots of showers, and of course foster for fishing and swimming

Agreed. There is also a boat ramp nearby, and a mooring dock as well (for fishing or skiing vessels). WORD: bring lots of quaters for the showers! It is EASY to find (just OFF of Hwy. 20 past the small town of Foster, which is just east of Sweet Home). You can also steal away, and fish for summer steel on the S. Santiam...just minutes away!!!

Plus, you can buzz up the road and fish in Green Peter Reservoir (fishing is much better than Foster). You can also fish and/or swim in Quartzille Creek. The creek above GP (Quartzille), is stocked regularly with "truck trout" and is one of my favorite little streams.

troutdude

troutdude

Might be a bit far for you but Diamond Lake, great camping, even better fishing, etc.fae

Don't mean to squish that thought, but Diamond has got to be at least a 4 hour drive (one way) from where they live. I work w/ little boys too...and that's too far for us to go. It would the trip of a lifetime for the little fellows (can tour Crater lake too), but that's a LONG way with kids in tow.

F

fish4life

Waterloo park is a nice park on the south santiam river, it has covered group areas for picknics bathrooms, playground, and horseshoe pits. I have not camped there for awhile so Im not sure how much the rates are. Foster lake and Green peter are both within a 30 minute drive from here. The river also has spring chinook and steelhead in it. I believe they have a web page. If you want to rough it then Clear lake which is just east of government camp has a access road just before you get to the campground off to the right that will take you around to the far side of the lake. You can camp here without a fee. Some of the roads and trails are pretty rough so I would advise a high clearance vehicle. We have taken a car in there but you have to chose your route carefully.

C

capblack

Agreed. There is also a boat ramp nearby, and a mooring dock as well (for fishing or skiing vessels). WORD: bring lots of quaters for the showers! It is EASY to find (just OFF of Hwy. 20 past the small town of Foster, which is just east of Sweet Home). You can also steal away, and fish for summer steel on the S. Santiam...just minutes away!!!

Plus, you can buzz up the road and fish in Green Peter Reservoir (fishing is much better than Foster). You can also fish and/or swim in Quartzille Creek. The creek above GP (Quartzille), is stocked regularly with "truck trout" and is one of my favorite little streams.

since when do you have to pay for showers at sunnyside? we camp there a few times every year, and we never paid for showers

Top Bottom