Any Crappie experts out there?

F
FishTy
I was thinking about trying to get some crappie.. only really fished for them with a bobber and a worm have done what I think is pretty good that way.. but just wondering if this time of year.. something else might work better?
I've tried crappie jigs with little success.. maybe I'm doing somethng wrong..
any help would be GREAT!!!!

Thanks
Ty

M
Markcanby
I was a expert back home but here its a little diff. We would us jigs almost all year the key is finding the right depth more then the right bait. Just find some cover set your slip bobber up an go 2ft at a time tell you find them.

I would use 1/32 in white/red head or all chartreuse If you know a stop with old trees still standing in the water that was the goldmine back home.

F
fishin_fool
Biggest thing right now is finding the fish and once you find them and what depth they are you will find them schooled up pretty good... this time of year they are on the move searching for their last bites before cool down... I personally have about 4 colors that always seem to work no matter what time of year it is... red/white, red/chartruese, baby blue, green/white... winter /early spring I use 1/64ths in both rubber jigs and marabou jigs... late spring through late fall all soft tube jigs in 1/32 and do use crappie nibbles in winter early spring.... Hope that helps ya... if you need more just ask and I'll try to answer... normal year we eat about 700 crappie my absolute favorite eating fish...

F
fishndad
ok, try a small spinnerbait! use willow blades of course. try chart./black, back/white etc

F
fishndad
oh and the reason i say this is you can vary speed in which you can vary your depth! try angles in which can send them in a frenzy.

F
FishTy
Thank You! for the info.
Theres a good spot over by St Paul that I like to goto and have always just tossed a worm around and catch just about everything. just wanted to actually try to target just crappie, so I'm going to try other things and see how I do..

I'ts really not a secret place. its that lake that you cross over if your heading into St Paul. most people don't realize that is a HUGE lake. and you have to come into it from a different road to get to the main lake.. Think the road name is Buysurie its a gravel road. that you get to either on the outside of St Paul towds newburg about a mile. or from the shampooe park side. give it a try some time think you will like that lake...one thing is, to fish it from a boat you have to be able to drag or pack your boat about 25yds.. LOTS of Fish in there.. I've caught 5 pnd bass out of there and I know there is BIGGER!
the biggest crappie I've caught in there is about 7in..but there is also blue gill , catfish, HUGE carp probably 20 pnds or more. and who knows what else!

I thought I would share My (not so secret place) with all of you... Give it a Try sometime)
And Again Thanks
Ty

M
Markcanby
Hey that's great man I had never been there but a place to catch crappie sound great I will be giving it a try.:D

O
Outdoor_Myers
Ah Mark are you telling me Crappie fishing out there is different? ya just can't go with a black jig head and white auger tail and knock em dead? :'( oh well I'm going to get more into trout and salmon perhaps other species we don't have in southern Iowa lol.

M
Markcanby
Yeah its Different you can't use minnows:( That an I have not really found the right water here. I guess down by piers in Portland is good but Im not eating those.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Ah man no minnows?! how do they walleye fish also?! craziness lol and here I was hoping to open a bait shop someday in Mac...

O
Outdoor_Myers
I remember on private ponds we would take used Christmas trees and anchor them down and put them out on the ice so when the ice melted it would give great structure to fish. (wow I'm tired lol i said trees and rancors *the jedi are messing with my mind again :confused: )

A
Anyfishisfine
I have a book on Crappie fishing, and it's almost useless because almost everything they say to do is illegal here. Multiple poles, minnows as bait, etc.

F
fishin_fool
Don't let the non-use of minnows stop ya from what I hear Mac could use a good bait shop...

O
Outdoor_Myers
Now just to get the purty monies!

M
Markcanby
Yeah it can be done without minnows but its not the same. Down South if you told anyone you were fishing for Crappie with worms they would laugh you off the water. In the spring you dont really need teh minnows but this time of year they sure make a difference.

O
Outdoor_Myers
I wish we kept all the 10 inch crappie we caught a few weeks ago, I alone caught 50 on auger tail, and spinner bait (was a blast) the pond was way over stocked on crappie I'm use to my 14-16 inch crappie, but me if I want to fish for crappie I will find them not one pond have I been fishing to this year and not caught a crappie same as bass! and have not been skunked this year...

M
Markcanby
I know what you mean I there was a 10" minimum on crappie where I grew up an here that a monster but have I love to eat them I will be trying that lake soon. Just need to get some oars for my toon.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Well I prob wont be able to afford a year fishing license since i have to get a OR driver license and my car inspected registrar and insured (makes me sad) or until I get a job hee hee