Any advice on catching those trophy's up by the dam?

P
Preacher
The trophys are congragating at the dam end of Lake Harriet but I could not get a bite! Tried pink and green powerbait, worms , salmon eggs, small lures and a fly 6' behind a clear bobber. Lots of looks, smells but no takers. Any recomendations?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum.

One guy on here, says to use worms on the bottom.

You can also use the search feature, type in "Harriet" and see if there are any archived threads with more information.

P.S. I would also try white and also black rooster tails.

S
Scowboy
They'll bite eventually. I was sight fishing in the shallows and knocked one on the head with a wad of worms, bumped him with a spinner and hung a bobber of maggots in front of his face to no avail.

B
beaverfan
Scowboy said:
They'll bite eventually. I was sight fishing in the shallows and knocked one on the head with a wad of worms, bumped him with a spinner and hung a bobber of maggots in front of his face to no avail.

That would be why he didn't bite your offering. You spooked him. Try casting 6-10ft away from him and you got a shot at hooking one.

troutdude
troutdude
Scowboy said:

LOL. That same scenario has happened to me too, with both steelies and 'nooks. I cast away, so not to spook 'em first. No hits. So, then dangled in front of 'em and still nothing.

Once, there were dozen's of nooks swimming all around me in knee deep water. They couldn't get over a beaver dam, so thick you could almost walk across the creek by stepping on their backs. Very frustrating, when you can't get a nibble!

G
Growbug
hmm.. would it have been legal to reach down, grab one and throw it on the bank??
nook ticklin

T
the_intimidator03
no but perhaps theoretically you could have held the hook on ur line in hand and put it on the fishes mouth and hooked them and gone that way LOL

kirkster
kirkster
Preacher said:
The trophys are congragating at the dam end of Lake Harriet but I could not get a bite! Tried pink and green powerbait, worms , salmon eggs, small lures and a fly 6' behind a clear bobber. Lots of looks, smells but no takers. Any recomendations?

Ive fished harriet for the past 25 years or so and have caught several of them trophy browns. And fishing at the dam is not the answer. The browns are nocturnal feeders So the first hour and the last hour of legal fishing time is the key time. And there up in the shallows all night feedin. as soon as day brek shows they start workin back to deep water. Except in October and november is there spawning time and they do as steelhead do and head up into the oak grove fork to spawn. And Im sure some still head for deep water but most will be from the boat ramp log boom up and into the river. One good thing is that snow is never an issue as far as getting there because Pge plows the road from three lynx so you have to come in from there. But if you can brave the cold and believe me its cold that time of year. But Ive caught several 6-8 pound browns in that two month stretch. So I hope that helps ya a little. Good luck And welcome to OFF.

S
Scowboy
Yup, what he said. Though I have to say it's nice to catch and release them up there. It's quite a treat that could dry up fast!

kirkster
kirkster
Scowboy said:
Yup, what he said. Though I have to say it's nice to catch and release them up there. It's quite a treat that could dry up fast!

Thats very true and I should have mentioned it. The guy that taught me about brown fishing taught me way more than he thinks and we would maybe keep only one apiece over the weekend for breakfast. And all the rest would go back.