Ants R Us!

troutdude
troutdude
Dear fly fishing peeps...I saw a winged Carpenter Ant for the first time yesterday. They are now on the hunt for new nesting sites.

Perhaps you'll want to break out your ant patterns, if you haven't already.

F
fishnquest
I broke out the ant spray.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
fishnquest said:

Darlin',you crack me up! lol

troutdude
troutdude
fishnquest said:

I just rely on my trusty windshield for population control.

J
joesnuffy
I was flyfishing last year in a high mountain lake where there were thousands of flying ants around. What was the only pattern that I didn't have on me??????

I've since kept a supply at hand (just in case).

troutdude
troutdude
Murphy's law...as it applies to fishing.

G
GDBrown
I had my biggest take down on an ant fly back in the seventies on a high mountain lake in Montana. A bunch from work had gone camping and we hit this lake in the middle of the day. They were all throwing spinners and I tied on my only Ant fly to a casting bubble and threw it out as far as I could and let the wind take it from there. I heard a huge splash like a beaver and had one hard jerk on the pole and that was it. The eight pound test line was no match for the fish. One of the guys saw it and said it looked to be about 25 inches he said it came all the way out of the water. I was too dumb to realize what I had missed. (I was only 25 at the time) Ants really do work. I'll have to make some more come to think of it.

GD

Last edited: