anti reverse seventh wonder of the world

Diehard
Diehard
hey all was just curious if somebody could answer a question for me im teaching a friend how to fish right now and he asked a question and i drew a blank thought some peeps could help so why do spinning reels have a reverse rotation on them is it so parts can wear out and be replaced or is there some long lost use for this anti reverse equipment hopefully this is not an obvious answer any way thanks for any and all replies

R
rainbowfisherman
I've used it while dropping bait straight down while trout fishing in lakes. If you do it like that it doesn't get your bait tandgled as easily. That's the noly time I've used it.

G
GDBrown
If you use it often enough it will slow the formation of twisted lines on a spinning reel?

F
fish4life
If you are bouncing out you gear behind a boat and are using a spinning reel you can let the handle rotate and let line out, also if you are bobber fishing you can let line out in a similar manner.

troutdude
troutdude
fish4life said:
If you are bouncing out you gear behind a boat and are using a spinning reel you can let the handle rotate and let line out, also if you are bobber fishing you can let line out in a similar manner.

X 2. When trolling, I use the that feature to let my line / gear into the water and count the rotations for depth. When I catch fish at a certain depth (# of rotations), I go back to that same depth each time until I limit out or the fish stop biting (then change the # of rotations / depth until I find the fish again).

When stream fishing, usually w/ bobber and bait, I'll let line out with that feature to cover more water. Sometimes I'll let the bait drift WAY downstream, until it gets into a spot/hole that looks good (and can't get to when bank fishing). I've caught a lot of fish (mostly trout) w/ that trick.

Diehard
Diehard
thanks for the replies nice to no some people actually use that feature