Another rumor

N
nwkiller
heard that the delta pond fish were going to be killed off, water level raised to make room for salmon smolt to thrive....any one else hear this?

A
AK Assassin
I wonder...I was planning to head out there. When did you hear of this? You been out there lately?

T
TTFishon
Just looked it up online and haven't found anything about killing off any fish but did find info on raising the water level for the salmon smolt. So I'd bet money that they will try and remove all of the bass first. Maybe in the same manner as the 5th st pond in Springfield. Personally I think this is a stupid idea. It won't take too long for the fish eating predators to figure it out and begin feasting on salmon smolt. I think they should do the opposite and block it off from the river and keep it a warm water fishery. They can still make it into a park and not the eyesore they claim it to be.

T
TTFishon
AK Assassin said:
I wonder...I was planning to head out there. When did you hear of this? You been out there lately?

You can head out there. I fished there the other day and there are still bass there.:D

N
nwkiller
yeah i agree with you TT...eye sore? tons of "older"people are out there everyday enjoying the native wildlife...and not to mention the fishing!!! i love that plce an would be really disapointed if they changed it in any matter, except hepling the fish that are already in there!

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like another dumb idea. I know they have been trying to plant native plants and make it a better place and i thought they wanted it to be better connected to the river but to put smolts in there? thats a bad idea. better just block it off and leave the fish alone. too many people enjoy that area.

J
JeannaJigs
Terrible idea.

The survival rate would be dismal at best.

T
TTFishon
I wonder what's up with the sprinkler system there? Why in the world did they waste money on a sprinkler system? I understand planting native plants but native plants shouldn't need extra water.:rolleyes:

J
JeannaJigs
It's Eugene :)...

T
TTFishon
Good point.

M
markasd
Eugene is like Cali in that way - kinda there own rules/laws and ways!! kinda kooky idea really, but what else would ODFW do with their coin?

So. Cal is WEAK at best.....

N
nwkiller
i think odfw needs to be putting more sturgeon in rivers! not killing grown fish