Another rod building question

H
hunt-fish-trap
is it true that most newer high end blanks don't really have a spine? I have a 16ft 1piece Lamiglas that has casting eyes on it. but I was wondering if those could be taken off and replaced with spinning eyes. I have cast a 6oz ball from the bank at Meldrum to the shallows on the other side of the river, but I know I could get more distance with the eyes swapped out. watcha think

R
ryan808
All blanks have spines, some might be very hard to find but they do exist. I do not build on the spine, I align the guides on the straitest axis so to me the spine is of no matter.

If you have a casting rod, why would you want to put spinning guides? are you converting the rod to a spinning rod? I can answer more if you give more details.

H
hunt-fish-trap
yeh I want to use it as a spinning rod. as I have a bitchin salt water spinning reel and I really really suck at bait casters when throwing really long distances. I want to use it for surf fishing

Chromatose
Chromatose
All Blanks have a spine. As to your question about removing guides and replacing them. Yes you can. Be Very Careful. Do Not Rush.

R
ryan808
Are you planning to change the reel seat on the rod from a trigger to a spin? It might be a bigger job than I thought. You might be better of building on a clean blank, it can be done but a lot of work will go into it.

H
hunt-fish-trap
it does not have a trigger seat on it now, just a standard seat with a rope wrapped handle. oh did I mention is was made by Mt. Hood Custom rods

Chromatose
Chromatose
Good Luck with your project hunt........................Would like to see a photo when your finished.

T
The Nothing
Changing a rod from casting to spinning is going to greatly change the dynamics of the rod. When building a casting rod, most rod builders place the guides on the outside of the spine curve while spinning guides should run on the inside of the spine curve (same as fly). By simply replacing the casting eyes with spinning eyes, your rod will now be rotated 180 degrees. What you are most likely to find is that you now have a rod that does not cast as well, but fights the fish better. I don't know anything about Mt Hood Custom Rods and how, or if, they spine their blanks. So your mileage may vary.

R
ryan808
Spiral wrap the guides and youll eliminate the issues with building on the spine, not that it really matters with a rod for use <50lbs.