Another newb wanting to get into steelhead fishing help

fishbot79
fishbot79
Hi all , I'm new to the forum and to steelhead fishing , i want to get into steelhead fishing this year , I mostly do just trout at the moment , I have gotten a couple rods and reels and line but could use some advise on what lures to get , I'm wanting to go to the Clackamas and the Deschutes rivers as well as the sandy , I don't have a boat so ill be bank fishing any help on what to get would be greatly appreciated , thank you !

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; glad to have ya. Feel free to use the search function in the upper right hand corner. Then search for the rivers you want to hit, as well as tips for steelhead fishing. There's LOTS of good information in the archives.

IMO the quickest way to get up to speed is the get a copy of "Spinner fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout", by Jed Davis. It'll be akin to taking a crash course in steelheading by expert guides! And a copy of "Fishing in Oregon" will also greatly improve your knowledge too.

Reactions: fishbot79
fishbot79
fishbot79
awesome ! thank you so much , i will get those books !

D
Dean
fishbot79 said:
Hi all , I'm new to the forum and to steelhead fishing , i want to get into steelhead fishing this year , I mostly do just trout at the moment , I have gotten a couple rods and reels and line but could use some advise on what lures to get , I'm wanting to go to the Clackamas and the Deschutes rivers as well as the sandy , I don't have a boat so ill be bank fishing any help on what to get would be greatly appreciated , thank you !
Have you checked out Addicted Fishing on YouTube? They are based out of WA but fish the Columbia, etc. and have a wealth of knowledge. If you want to learn how to tie a steelhead rig and fish it, that's a really great place to start.

EDIT: I also own both books @troutdude recommended and I recommend buying both of those as well. In addition, you can't go wrong with anything from Amato Books. I refer to the Oregon River Guide all the time still. It has fewer spots than "Fishing in Oregon" but the spots it does cover it does so in great detail, including technique, time of year, average counts, etc.

fishbot79
fishbot79
Dean said:
Have you checked out Addicted Fishing on YouTube? They are based out of WA but fish the Columbia, etc. and have a wealth of knowledge. If you want to learn how to tie a steelhead rig and fish it, that's a really great place to start.

EDIT: I also own both books @troutdude recommended and I recommend buying both of those as well. In addition, you can't go wrong with anything from Amato Books. I refer to the Oregon River Guide all the time still. It has fewer spots than "Fishing in Oregon" but the spots it does cover it does so in great detail, including technique, time of year, average counts, etc.
yeah I do know about addicted, most of their fishing is Washington based, I kinda want local Oregon based tricks and ideas etc. if that makes sense .

C
cchinook
fishbot79 said:
Go to Oxbow Park , Sandy , and start tossing #4 Blue Fox spinners . Springers get there end of May , summer steelhead also.
Coho arrive mid Aug. and last through Oct. Bobber and jigs , bobber and eggs , spinners , are the usual methods . Coho , nooks
and steelhead must be clipped. Due to the incompetence of hatchery operations the Clack . is a waste of time .

Reactions: fishbot79