Another good day at the OFF hole (pic)

B

bigdog

Well headed to the OFF hole again, got there before the sun. Not to many people were there at that time but living up to it's name there was some offers there. Get to the spot and there is Drifter and his friend. Little later in the morning FishKiller shows up and so does Ninja.

Fish were like they always are there jumping around and making sure we knew they were there. Went 1 for 2 today the first one was on long enough to shake its head on me and then gone. Didn't even have time to say fish on.
Made my way in the water for awhile and while I was out there a very nice size steelie went by me couldn't have been more then a foot I could have kick it. I tried to throw my gear out in front of it to see if it would hit it but that ended up being a no good.

Took another friend of mine with me that had never been hunting for these big beautifull fishies, being a little slower morning and no one landing anything, he said he would be happy to just see someone land one. Well less then a half hour after he said that FISH ON. He gave a few good air flips for us and a little fight down the bank line 27" about 7 pounds. After getting him in and in hand I asked my budy if he was happy now. Well not as happy if it would have been him he said but he said he is going back in the am so I think I got someone eles hooked on fishing.

Here is the pic I got, think more will be coming Ninja got some so I'm sure he will post them in this thread

sat8-23001.jpg

Last edited:
R

Redfox458

Well headed to the OFF hole again, got there before the sun. Not to many people were there at that time but living up to it's name there was some offers there. Get to the spot and there is Drifter and his friend. Little later in the morning FishKiller shows up and so does Ninja.

Fish were like they always are there jumping around and making sure we knew they were there. Went 1 for 2 today the first one was on long enough to shake its head on me and then gone. Didn't even have time to say fish on.
Made my way in the water for awhile and while I was out there a very nice size steelie went by me couldn't have been more then a foot I could have kick it. I tried to throw my gear out in front of it to see if it would hit it but that ended up being a no good.

Took another friend of mine with me that had never been hunting for these big beautifull fishies, being a little slower morning and no one landing anything, he said he would be happy to just see someone land one. Well less then a half hour after he said that FISH ON. He gave a few good air flips for us and a little fight down the bank line 27" about 7 pounds. After getting him in and in hand I asked my budy if he was happy now. Well not as happy if it would have been him he said but he said he is going back in the am so I think I got someone eles hooked on fishing.

Here is the pic I got, think more will be coming Ninja got some so I'm sure he will post them in this thread

sat8-23001.jpg

:clap::clap: Beautiful fish!!! So what setup are you using? Corkys and yarn? do you use a sliding sinker and an unweighted hook? where do you put your corky?

D

drifter

sat8-23001.jpg

i wasn't there dog.. that was my cuz and his brother.. hahaa..

D

drifter

Beautiful Fish,
I'm Guessing it was Spinners Today right?

looks like black corkie and red yarn to me.. a great set up and killer combo this time of year... by the way nice fish big dog.. hey how many peps go one in this morning?

B

bigdog

looks like black corkie and red yarn to me.. a great set up and killer combo this time of year... by the way nice fish big dog.. hey how many peps go one in this morning?

Yes black cork and red yarn. No lead on the hook:naughty: and I use pencil lead with sergical toob.
No didn't throw any spinners today.:think:
Man thats funny sorry I thought that was you. No wonder you didn't talk to much :lol:

N

ninja2010

that's a great hole, so full of fish... if only they'll bite my offerings... :(

anyhoooo, here're some more pix of bigdog in action...

bigdog: "excuse me, coming through, fish on here... coming through..."
guy in brown hoodie: "...errrr, call you right back, 'kay? some guy just hooked up..."
guy in grey T-shirt: "yeah, yeah, yeah... whatever."

DSCF0037.jpg

"okay, nice and easy... just glide her in..."

DSCF0040.jpg

"GOTCHA!"

DSCF0041.jpg

...and the poser shot.

DSCF0042.jpg

F

FishFinger

Looks like you all had a great time at the Ol' Money hole. It's a very seasonally productive spot for sure. One thing to remember about that hole is, there is a deadline. The two yellow rocks on either bank are getting hard and harder to see each year. Make sure your not hooking fish above it.

Y

youngbuck307

you can't evan see them now..... a lot of people dont know where it evan is... i didn't at first so stayed way low till i found out its a rock with what looks like a spot of bird crap on it....have no clue where it is on the other bank.

A

adambomb

dude in the grey shirt

dude in the grey shirt

the guy in ninja's first pic, in the background in the grey shirt is Kyle from BC angling post! good to see him in the water! not sure if he's a member yet, but he should be:cool:

R

rainbowfisherman

So what river is this? Wheres the spot?

P

plunkme

nice fish, could someone pm me the spot also that is if you dont want to share it to everyone

thanks

G

GoneFishin2134

Nice steely! Funny thats the same spot I go to as well. Was there the other day, I drive a Red Tacoma.

B

bigdog

Looks like you all had a great time at the Ol' Money hole. It's a very seasonally productive spot for sure. One thing to remember about that hole is, there is a deadline. The two yellow rocks on either bank are getting hard and harder to see each year. Make sure your not hooking fish above it.

Yeah the deadline is getting harder and harder to see but you can just go by the arear that looks like you could throw up a tent. YTes is hot at the right time of year to bad that time of year is coming close to being over.

F

FishFinger

A fishing hole on public land shouldn't be a secret..

The "Off hole" folks are speaking about is right below Faraday dam, just east of Estacada. Look for the signs to West Hydro Project and park near where the southern guard rail ends. The trail will take you down to the river.

I have to say.. Productivity of this "hole" is quite seasonal... Traditionally now it the "time" it hits big and as many photos show once again it's coughing up fish.

So hats "Off" to all who are taking advantage of the resource and putting fish on the table.

Post 9/11 the dam got improved security. So smile every one fishing the entire stretch of bank, your on cctv. Game violations like fishing above the deadline get the instant replay and can be prosecutable offenses if ODFW say.. Needed more money....:think:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, good luck explaining that you couldn't see the painted deadline marker when that's what your being charged with.. not seeing it... :shock:

I don't have yellow but I might bring a can o paint while the water is low...

Ok my final two cents... Since the location of the "hole" is "Off"-ically" disclosed. The "pressure" is bound to increase a bit... Please take a few minutes before you leave and pick up some of the trash. It's looking pretty haggard and could use a little more patrolling.

R

Redfox458

Fishfinger, thank you so much! Your info is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I'll run into another fellow OFF member and we can trade some tips...ok, so I can get some tips, I've never fished for steelhead, and I'm REALLY hoping I can hook my first one soon!! If any of you guys have any ideas of what lures/rigs I should use down there, please let me know soon, I'm going to the place formally known as Sportsman's today to get some gear. Thank you again to all!! :dance: