Another good day at Howard Prairie

F
fishindude
My wife and I arrived at the lake at about 5:45 am and got a nice picture of the fog coming off the water at Grizzly Flats . Proceeded to the marina to rent a boat from which to slay the trout. Things started off very slow as the morning bite never really seemed to get started . It was a very very calm day on the water and hot by 9:30 . Finally about 10:30 a slight breeze came up and helped both the fishing and us as we were beginning to melt from the sun. LOL . We had the best luck fishing between Fawn Island and the shoreline in about 30 feet of water using "powerbait " , the fish seemed to favor Chartruese and Corn Yellow . My wife caught the heaviest rainbow that we approximated at 3 lbs. , we caught 4 that were 18 1/2 inches long but hers was definitely the fattest . All in all a great day on the water with my best friend in the whole world . IMG_0450.jpgIMG_0478.jpgIMG_0466.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0461.JPGIMG_0436.JPGIMG_0463.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0457.jpgIMG_0477.jpg

E
eat, sleep, fish
Looks like an awesome day. Glad to see the fishing is still going pretty strong up there.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good lookin trouts!

Gonna have to go up there soon for some bass/trout action!

B
bigsteel
nice report,,,sounds like an all around amazing trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
sportsmanlio
Great fish!

Great fish!

Even though most of the fingerlings they plant in Howard Prairie get gobbled up by the bass, it is good to see that some of them are reaching adulthood still. Great fish!

E
eat, sleep, fish
sportsmanlio said:
Even though most of the fingerlings they plant in Howard Prairie get gobbled up by the bass, it is good to see that some of them are reaching adulthood still. Great fish!

They stopped the fingerling plants a few years ago because of the bass. They now plant larger fish during the fall, and it's finally starting to pay off after quite a few slow years.

Reactions: sportsmanlio
S
sportsmanlio
That is good to know. The bucket biologists who put smallmouths, largemouths, pumpkinseed, and bullheads in the lake really screwed up one of the best trout fisheries around...they are fun to catch and all, but it irritates me nonetheless!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
F
fishindude
Sinkline said:
Great fish and photos! Thanks for sharing this report and your other report as well. :cool:

Randy

Thank you Randy , I love fishing that lake and it's only about 20 minutes from my driveway to the marina . :)

F
fishindude
bigsteel said:
nice report,,,sounds like an all around amazing trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks !!

F
fishindude
eat said:
Looks like an awesome day. Glad to see the fishing is still going pretty strong up there.

Thanks , it was a fun and fishy day .

F
fishindude
Funny thing is when my wife hooked the biggest one she thought she lost it , she was reeling in and finally caught up with it and then it jumped . She said " OMG , did you see that ? :shock::shock: " I told her " I think it's still there babe " LOL

M
Moe
Nice healthy fish!

L
lilsalmon
awesome report.....we fisherwomen rock!!!!! :clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Wow, what a great place to have in your backyard. But, you weren't fishing...you were catching PIGS!