Another day of sturgeon fun.

C
cpeaslee
Another fun day on Sunday - had a good time, weather was decent and good company. Fished with my brother in law and nephew.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Reactions: Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice looking dino's....

bass
bass
Great job, awesome pics with that big grin on your son's face! I often fish that area often but decided to skip that area on Sunday for reasons listed below. I am curious as to how deep you were fishing? How was the current (I assume pretty slow)? Was the bite limited to the outgoing?

I had decided to tried further upstream (Cedaroak) on Sunday since I was afraid that the current was going to be dead down around George Rogers and with the predicted wind that makes for frustrating fishing. The current up by Cedaroak was much faster than I expected - I was totally surprised. A friend and I went out and caught 8-10 shakers each, but no quality fish. We tried quite a few spots looking for a some quality fish. We found a big concentration in about 110' of water with surprisingly little current. Unfortunately, it seemed like a "nursery hole" as folks like to say (densely packed with shakers). A long wait between bites was two minutes at that spot (often as soon as it hit the bottom they started biting), however we never hooked a decent fish (and missed quite a few). We could have caught a zillion out of that one hole, but it was getting boring reeling in fish in the 2' +/- 6" range. After an hour or so of fishing that spot we left to look for bigger fish, which we never found. We tried quite a few depths but never found where the better fish were hanging out.

Congrats again on a great day!

C
cpeaslee
We started down next to Waverly, had some bites, no fish. Figured they were small. Moved up to Rogers Park area and anchored in about 90', closer to the park side of the river. Casting out 40+ feet from the boat into 100-110 feet of water. 10 oz of weight and anchovies. We spent 3+ hours in this hole and had many bites and several hookups.

Current was minimal. We were getting bites throughout the day, but I would say it was best from about 12:30 until we left at about 3:00. It was when the tide was coming in that we started seeing some better action.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great job guys! Congrats to all of you! :hi: You too, bass, at least you were out there. :thumb:

bass
bass
cpeaslee said:
We started down next to Waverly, had some bites, no fish. Figured they were small. Moved up to Rogers Park area and anchored in about 90', closer to the park side of the river. Casting out 40+ feet from the boat into 100-110 feet of water. 10 oz of weight and anchovies. We spent 3+ hours in this hole and had many bites and several hookups.

Current was minimal. We were getting bites throughout the day, but I would say it was best from about 12:30 until we left at about 3:00. It was when the tide was coming in that we started seeing some better action.

Thanks for the information. Each time I think I am starting to figure something out about sturgeon the opposite turns out to be true. I would say most of the time - especially when the current is light - that the current increase on the outgoing gets the bite going. The "nursery hole" spot we found was during the afternoon on the incoming and they bit like crazy. However, my usual favorite spot up around Cedaroak never produced (neither incoming nor outgoing).

Maybe I would get bored if I caught quality fish every time out, but I would not mind finding out through experience :)

C
cpeaslee
I have not really put a standard on these yet as I am too new at fishing for Sturgeon. I just go where I have had luck so far and keep doing what worked before. When it stops working, I need to try something else. I have used a depth gauge to find the holes, no fish finder. So it is kind of a shot in the dark as to whether there are fish in the area or not.

However, I did just buy a fish finder...so now I would guess I will not be able to catch them at all. ;)

My logic tells me that the outgoing tide would continue to bring bait down river with the current, yet on the other hand, I think the incoming tide brings bait up and entices them. But, I have caught them at all times of the day and get bites at all times...so I cannot really make any sense out of it.

I just catch 'em, take a photo and let 'em go.

bass
bass
cpeaslee said:
I have not really put a standard on these yet as I am too new at fishing for Sturgeon. I just go where I have had luck so far and keep doing what worked before. When it stops working, I need to try something else. I have used a depth gauge to find the holes, no fish finder. So it is kind of a shot in the dark as to whether there are fish in the area or not.

However, I did just buy a fish finder...so now I would guess I will not be able to catch them at all. ;)

My logic tells me that the outgoing tide would continue to bring bait down river with the current, yet on the other hand, I think the incoming tide brings bait up and entices them. But, I have caught them at all times of the day and get bites at all times...so I cannot really make any sense out of it.

I just catch 'em, take a photo and let 'em go.

Often once you are up as far as GR park, there is downstream current on the outgoing and then either just less downstream current or no current at all on the incoming. There really is not an opportunity for an upstream push of food.

Downtown around swan island there is a significant upstream current on the incoming that fishes well.

Maybe I will see you out there one of these days.

O
OnTheFly
Love that headliner pic. That's one for the mancave wall.

M
Moe
Great job! I was out Sunday but only got a dozen or so shakers. Seems the river has been cleaned out of keeper sized fish. I wonder why lol