Another Day in Paradise!

T
troutmasta
Headed out to the coast thursday night on a mission to put a lick on some fatty halibut.:D My buddy, CollegeKid and I arrived at beverly beach about 10:00 at night and with haste set up a tent and got to drinkin. Hit the sack at 11:30 only to be awakened by a russling in our bag of snacks we had for the following day. Shined my flashlight out the tent and glanced upon the unmistakable eyes of a racoon.:shock: Bustin out of the tent, the creature bolted into the the night doritos in hand. Ran him down got our Nacho Cheese Doritos back and returned to our much needed slumber. Finally started dreamin about 1:30 im assuming and at 4:30 we rose with crazy anticipation. It was Friday the
13th, the day I would catch my first Halibut.:pray:
We set out of Yaquina bay about 5:45 and smashed at 20+ knots 28 miles out. My buddy Ben began puking a bout 2 miles out and proceeded to continue the up chuck for the next 25 miles.:confused:
We got to the slaying field around 7-7:30 and dropped our salted anchovies down to the depths. I'd been on bottom for about 10 min when I felt the best feeling in the world (well 2nd best;)) a tug-tug on my line.. Blamm!! I set the hook and felt the beast fight back. It wasn't pullung any drag and didn't feel like what I had imagined a halibut would feel like. After ten min of so of reeling I saw color....The wrong color:rolleyes:..Bright orange. A big fat canary rock fish. Boooooo. I released the critter and watched him valiantly try for the depths. Pleased to see him making it, I returned to my quest.
Rebaited with a fresh anchovie and re-hydrated with a fresh beer, I plunged my rig to the bottom of the sea once again.
20 min had passed when my rod tip began to bounce.. Acutally it just slammed all the way over and drag began to peel:D. It had begun! I would wrench up and reel down, gain a little and lose a little. This was nothing like the first fight, this one was Big! 15 min passed and then I saw it...The BIGGEST friggin Ling cod I've ever seen. Im guessing 25+ pounds, teath like a gator, and a belly like Homer Simpson. With biiter sweet amazement I released the monster, promising him I would return to do him (actually a her) in on another trip.
3... yes thats 3,:think: more fatty lings and my will power and my biceps were fading, I was beat . Were was the one? The one I desired..
Again re-baited and dropped down. Put my rod in the holder and cracked a fresh one. Ben Was still puking and my hopes for him as well as myself were fading. Then It Happened! I knew it this time. This was the ONE. Rod tip pointing toward hell itself, I wrestled it from the rail. The second that thing was in my hands I knew I had harnessed a beast, a toad, a lunker, a trophy, a hawg...A HALIBUT! :dance:I began the battle trying to loose the heathen from the sea floor. I felt it come of the bottom then ripped drag right back down. Again I pulled, and this time gained. The creature would run, then I would retrieve. 20 min passed and I could feel the sweat running down my still smiling face. When I saw it I was in awe. This massive white blur 10 feat under the surface. I Bellowed... "Color!". And the captain plunged the gaf deep below the sufrace. The deckhand followed suit and soon they dragged the monster over the rail and into my reality. Mission Accopmplished!:cool:
I tagged the fish and celibrated my accomplishment. I was effin stoked!! Now, we just had to get Ben to stop puking long enough to do the same. I dragged him up to the bow right where I had been victorious and dropped his rig down. It reached bottom and instantly the bite was on. Then off. He got robbed I gave him another setup and started reeling in the first when he hooked up!
His rod slamemd over and he begean the fight of his life. 30 min passed and we had the two largest fish in the boat. BAMM!! ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
S
sherman
Oh man theres some good eatin there. what did they weigh out at? Oh and did barfin Ben ever get his sea legs? :lol:

T
troutmasta
didn't weigh em' Im guessin Hi 30's for mine. (the one on the left) and no, he was sick till we hit dry land! rookie.

T
Thuggin4Life
NIce fish what a report!

T
Throbbit _Shane
very nice!!

S
skunk
Nice report. Afraid I'd be like Ben there, and miss all the fun. I'll leave it to you guys to get those memories.

J
JeannaJigs
Freakin rad report!

S
shimano22
jeff why did i not find out about this till i saw bens girlfriend the other night? i think that deserves a little halibut my way!

H
Hawk
Beautiful pic & Great story bro's...:lol::lol::lol:
Well Done.
:clap::clap::clap:
:dance::dance:
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

C
collegekidusa
Worth the Puking!

M
mgdguy
GREAT report! And nice fish! :clap:

B
BobbiDollPDX
Looks like you went out with Captains. Nice fish!

O
OnTheFly
shimano22 said:
jeff why did i not find out about this till i saw bens girlfriend the other night? i think that deserves a little halibut my way!
Hey..what were you doing with Ben's girlfriend while he was out fishing and puking? jk

Epic write up. Outrageous fish!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Lucky Peak is going to seem small after your trip out to the Ranch. Great sea story, I could smell the salt (not the other stuff)!;)

Reactions: OnTheFly
B
Bassleg
Very nice fish and the best kind to eat even!

T
troutmasta
Irishrover said:
Lucky Peak is going to seem small after your trip out to the Ranch. Great sea story, I could smell the salt (not the other stuff)!;)

I grew up at lucky peak! What's the ranch?

Irishrover
Irishrover
troutmasta said:
I grew up at lucky peak! What's the ranch?

The Ranch is where you went halibut fishing. The place is nick named the "Chicken Ranch". Most folks who fish for deep halibut out of Newport run amost due west, 270 degees on the compass, approximatley 30 mile and start fishing. Some folks just call the place the Ranch. I have the place marked on my GPS as "Chic". Folks have fished that spot for years. Some days on the way out to the Ranch you won't see many boats then when you get close to the spot boats show up all over the place. Just remember the Chicken Ranch is no where near Anderson Ranch Dam.;)