Another crabby report.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Went to Coos Bay, again, and dropped traps.
Launched at the BLM ramp and went up river to see how the crab were and to fish a little around the RR bridge for rockfish.
Set the traps around the 25 marker In Jordan Cove at about 25' of water and went on to the bridge.
Diddling around bridge for a little more than and hour and a half, we pulled out a couple small coppers and one the went about 2 lbs.
The larger one was had it's tail mostly worn off. Never seen that before.
Back to the traps and although there were quite a few crabs in them, they were mostly too small and a good number of females among them.
We chose not to waste any more bait on small crabs, so we went down river to and set our traps between the range markers across from Pigeon point.
We dropped 5 traps in depths from 13' to 25' of water.
On two pulls there we caught a bunch of crabs many just under legal size, but we did get 17 legal males along with a number of red rock crabs, one of which was a good 7'' across.
Over all for the day we took 19 Dungeness all hard shells and a dozen reds.
We were using salmon heads and carcasses for bait.

G
Gulfstream
I went yesterday in Charleston and the water color was like iced tea Got a few keepers that were hard,but mostly softies

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yeah. The water was a bit brown. We fished across the water along the jetty for a while while soaking our traps. But it was a nice day on the bay. When we called it a day And ran back up river to the launch, we were able to plane the boat in the fairly flat water. My boat is just a little 16 Ft flat bottom and doesn't do big wind chop at speed very well.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
apologies to my friends from CoosBay for hiding this post in their thread but Siuslaw crabbing is off the hook. Today (and yesterday) we put 40 to 60 keepers on the boat in 2 hours before high tide and had to sort down to 24 (spoiler alert: if you were not a CA keeper, you didn't get the steam sauna treatment from us). some hard, some soft (went back), majority were 'clean eaters' (shell flexes but lots of meat inside)...and for locals- this was CG area, not down at A6. cheers, roger

3 layers of dungies in a 42" wide cooler.
cyzESjd.jpg

plumbertom
plumbertom
Maybe the next rip should be to The Siuslaw, Would save an hours drive for sure.

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger;n606084 said:
apologies to my friends from CoosBay for hiding this post in their thread but Siuslaw crabbing is off the hook. Today (and yesterday) we put 40 to 60 keepers on the boat in 2 hours before high tide and had to sort down to 24 (spoiler alert: if you were not a CA keeper, you didn't get the steam sauna treatment from us). some hard, some soft (went back), majority were 'clean eaters' (shell flexes but lots of meat inside)...and for locals- this was CG area, not down at A6. cheers, roger

3 layers of dungies in a 42" wide cooler.
cyzESjd.jpg

WOW! You know how much I love them crab Roger, next time you come into town lets do lunch and you can bring a couple ;) joking (not really). I hope we can get together this fall and do some fishing!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster;n606094 said:
WOW! You know how much I love them crab Roger, next time you come into town lets do lunch and you can bring a couple ;) joking (not really). I hope we can get together this fall and do some fishing!

right on, right on, right on, I'll be in touch, PM me with what your schedule sort of looks like the next few weeks so I have an idea which days might be best..