Annual license question

J
jxl013
Hi all,

Just moved to OR from Wisconsin, excited to do some fishing here and get some advice from this forum!

Quick question - how does the annual fishing license here work? Does it go by calendar year (meaning if I got a non-res today, it would expire at the end of the year), or from date of purchase? If it goes by calendar year I may just purchase day by day until my 6 months kicks in!

Thanks!

Jay

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
everything goes by calendar year. so you could buy non-resident annual stuff (licenses and tags) to get you through the rest of this year or buy 'daily' angling licenses that include a tag for each day they are valid for.

then on Jan 1, 2019, assuming you moved here by July 1, you are good to buy resident stuff that covers all of 2019.

cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon, and to our forum.

FYI if you purchase just 2 daily licenses (with no endorsements, tags, etc)...you may as well buy an annual license. As the cost is a wash.

And if you wish to fish ANY tributary of the Columbia drainage system...then you will also need, that endorsement. You can't legally fish any such stream (creek, or river) without one. For Salmon, Steelhead, or Sturgeon. Which includes all of the Willamette system to the south; and and pretty much all northeastern streams. See page 8, of the reg book, for details.

BTW...I mostly fish for trout; and have loved every minute of having a Two-Rod Validation stamp! This is primarily only legal for lakes, ponds, and reservoirs. But NOT in some coastal lakes--during Coho Salmon season. Bank fishing, still fishing from a boat, or trolling, with 2 rods is a blast. And if you go ice fishing...you can have up to 5 rods.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck and tight lines,

TD

P.S. rogerdodger is 6-month residency required, in order to obtain an Oregon license? I can't find anything in the reg book.

jxl013 Get yourself a copy of either of these books. You will learn a lot, and quickly too:

"Fishing in Oregon" 11th Edition, by Maddy Diness Sheehan (Flying Pencil Pulications)
"Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" 2nd Edition (unless they have now released a newer edition) (Wilderness Adventure Press, Inc.)

Last edited:
J
jxl013
rogerdodger;n613179 said:
everything goes by calendar year. so you could buy non-resident annual stuff (licenses and tags) to get you through the rest of this year or buy 'daily' angling licenses that include a tag for each day they are valid for.

then on Jan 1, 2019, assuming you moved here by July 1, you are good to buy resident stuff that covers all of 2019.

cheers, roger

Thanks for the clarification Roger!

Jay

J
jxl013
troutdude;n613180 said:
Welcome to Oregon, and to our forum.

FYI if you purchase just 2 daily licenses (with no endorsements, tags, etc)...you may as well buy an annual license. As the cost is a wash.

And if you wish to fish ANY tributary of the Columbia drainage system...then you will also need, that endorsement. You can't legally fish any such stream (creek, or river) without one. For Salmon, Steelhead, or Sturgeon. Which includes all of the Willamette system to the south; and and pretty much all northeastern streams. See page 8, of the reg book, for details.

BTW...I mostly fish for trout; and have loved every minute of having a Two-Rod Validation stamp! This is primarily only legal for lakes, ponds, and reservoirs. But NOT in some coastal lakes--during Coho Salmon season. Bank fishing, still fishing from a boat, or trolling, with 2 rods is a blast. And if you go ice fishing...you can have up to 5 rods.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck and tight lines,

TD

P.S. rogerdodger is 6-month residency required, in order to obtain an Oregon license? I can't find anything in the reg book.

jxl013 Get yourself a copy of either of these books. You will learn a lot, and quickly too:

"Fishing in Oregon" 11th Edition, by Maddy Diness Sheehan (Flying Pencil Pulications)
"Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" 2nd Edition (unless they have now released a newer edition) (Wilderness Adventure Press, Inc.)

Unfortunately as a new resident of the state I can't acquire the resident pricing until 6 months in - meaning to get the full tags/rod validation etc. would cost me over $200!! The daily licenses are *only* $21 and include the days tags, so I suppose while I'm getting settled I'll just go on a day by day basis until my 6 months are up, seeing as how I would need to buy a new one after new years anyways.

I will definitely look into those books, and looking forward to contributing to this community!

Jay

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
We look forward to your reports!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude;n613180 said:

it is under "Definitions" on page 16 of the 2018 regs booklet:

Qu4Lynv.jpg

cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Ha. Buried in the book. LOL Thanks Roger.

M
Mr.Joshua
Welcome to Oregon Jay.
I had this dilemma when I moved here in Sept of 2015. I fished a few times with a daily license and then realizing I was going to be fishing way more, I purchased the non-res annual license. It was tough buying them so close together!
Just depends on how often you're going to get out.