Annual Green Peter Team Kokanee Derby June 11th

C
Cannon
Time to start planning ahead for the annual Green Peter Kokanee Derby. The derby will take place June 11th. You must be registered prior to fishing. Fishing will start 1 hour before daylight and will be over at 2:00 PM. Weigh in will be on the South side of the dam and will start at 1:00 PM and end at 2:00 PM. If you are not in line before 2:00 PM you will be disqualified.
There will be prize money for the adults and prizes for the Junior division. Kids fishing in the Junior division fish for free. Adults fishing need to be registered and pay an entry fee. Lunch is part of the entry fee for participants so you get to have a good lunch and watch the award ceremony. A good time is had by all and I can tell you that I have made many new friends at these events. I will try to answer any questions you may have in regards to this event.

Reactions: capblack
C
Charlie_merrifi
What is the entry fee. Are there anyone that would let me being a koke newb occupy a boat seat

C
capblack
Charlie_merrifi said:
What is the entry fee. Are there anyone that would let me being a koke newb occupy a boat seat

check out the kokaneefishingforum if there is someone with an open seat, you will have a better chance finding them there. personally, i dont fish competitively, i fish for fun. that and im not good enough for the tourney

C
Charlie_merrifi
I agree cap just thought it would be something to try once

C
Cannon
The entry is 50 bucks for non members and 35 for members. Your lunch is included in the entry fee. If you are going to fish all four derbies, then the membership will benefit you. As far as an open seat goes, you can advertize on any of the fishing forum boards. The main point is that you are not going to get better at catching kokanee unless you are spending time on the water. My book would give you a good head start if you are in need of pointers. You can get it either off my website or off of Amazon.com. As far as the derbies go, if you want to learn how to be sucessful, that is the place to learn. The better fishermen are more than willing to give out pointers and help you get up to speed.

C
Cannon
capblack said:
check out the kokaneefishingforum if there is someone with an open seat, you will have a better chance finding them there. personally, i dont fish competitively, i fish for fun. that and im not good enough for the tourney

I am probably not too competetive and against some of those guys it almost seems futile. But I have seen many beginners win the prize money so as far as being an expert, it isn't a big deal. I have a good time talking to everyone over cokes or beers and burgers. I also pick the minds of the more experienced fishermen and I have learned a great deal of information about presentation. Most of the deal is having a good time with the family catching fish and chatting with like minded guys and gals while enjoying the outdoors.

C
capblack
not to stray from the subject, but when do you think its worth giving gp a try for the kokes. if i remember right i think about this time last year i was starting to try it. Brian

C
Cannon
Charlie_merrifi said:

I forgot to mention that Mike Mansker is putting on a kokanee class at suttle lake if you want some excellent pointers. You can find a link on my webpage or on the kokanee fishing forum as well as that other I forum. I am putting on kokanee seminars throughout Oregon and Washington during the course of the year. If you look on my site under schedule, you can find the one closest to you and they are free. Most are taking place at the Wholesale Sports stores.

C
Cannon
capblack said:
not to stray from the subject, but when do you think its worth giving gp a try for the kokes. if i remember right i think about this time last year i was starting to try it. Brian

I started fishing Green Peter the second week of February last year. I have spoken with a few old timers who have been doing well up there. My schedule has kept me off the water this year but i am planning a trip up there soon.
For those that don't own downriggers, now is your time to effectively target kokanee trolling. Run your line out 90-100' with a dodger and lure of choice. With the rod in the holder, the line should run out about 75' before hitting the water if trolling about 1.4 MPH. Fish the shallows along the bank. The fish will be focusing on the bug hatch as the water warms.
Jigging is also very effective early in the year as the fish are concentrated.