Anitfreeze poisoning

troutdude

troutdude

Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
8,068
Location
Willy Valley, Oregon
Thuggin's story about his pup getting Salmon poisoning, reminded me of an incident that I think is also worth sharing.

Many years ago, I roomed w/ a fellow who had Labrador's. And at one point, they had a litter. It was really neat, cuz the dad was Yellow and mom a typical Chocolate Brown. So, there was quite a mix of pups.

Anyway...I had heard for years that dogs (and other pets too), are drawn to Antifreeze and that it isn't good for them. One day, I got out a jug of Prestone and I topped OFF my radiator. Knowing that there were dogs (and pups) roaming the property; I placed the cap tightly back onto the plastic jug. I then set the jug down, outside of the garage and drove into town.

Well thank God I was only gone for a few short minutes (and hadn't gotten sidetracked while in town). When I returned home...you guessed it...a pup had chewed through that plastic Antifreeze jug! I immediately told my roomie, and he snapped up the pup in question (and the dad dog who had also lapped up the DEADLY POISON); and whisked them OFF to the emergency room at the vet!

Both dogs nearly died. And I found out, that Antifreeze is a LOT more toxic than I had imagined. Plus, it tastes "good" to a dog. NOT a good combination. It will KILL them in a VERY SHORT period of time!

Both dogs made it through the treatment, and were fine. And even though I was young and didn't know any better at the time -- I felt lousy about the whole mess. So, if one peep out there can learn from this and not make the same mistake...then taking the time to share this story has been well worth it.

Dogs, plastic containers, and Antifreeze is s LOSING combination! Please be careful.
 
Last edited:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Moderator
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
4,748
Location
Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
It seems to be the "double fudge chocolate volcano milkshake" of the animal world. It's also a cat killer. Be sure to check your houseplants for the poisonous effects on pets. More than a few will kill pets and make children violently ill.
 
J

JeannaJigs

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
4,706
Location
Eugene, Oregon
On a positive note, they now put a bitterant in antifreeze to make it taste and smell nasty to dogs andcats
 
K

Kais

Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
180
Its really sweet ya thats why they like it, its also poison for humans and everything to so don't taste it if your curios.
 
T

Thuggin4Life

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
Springfield, Oregon
Good that they but that stuuf in the antifreeze. That sweet smell lures them in and until recently i guess it also tasted good. Deffinantly want to keep the pets away from anti freeze. I always wipe up the spills in the driveway even though i am not a fan of cats i wouldn't want my neighbors cat to come over and drink it up and dy because of me. I keep the stuff in the garage on the top shelf.
 
O

OnTheFly

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
2,906
Location
Oregon City
What if antifreeze tasted like beer?:shock: Then we'd all be in trouble.
 
T

TTFishon

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
3,395
Location
Mohawk valley, Oregon
I used to know a dude that drank aftershave after pouring it through a loaf of bread to filter out the impurities.:lol:
 
V

viento

Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
77
Location
pdx
That's nothing, in France, they use the bread to make French Toast :lol: :rolleyes:
 

Similar threads

Top Bottom