Anchored or not anchored

P
PstMactear
As a fisherman with a spot lock on his front trolling motor I have wondered does using my spot lock constitute anchored or just position fishing?

I have been reading that drift fisherman while boat drifting, sometimes let their path get too close to spotlocked fisherman who become upset. They state that I am anchored here.

Thinking about this situation, I believe without anchor rope out to an anchor then attached to a boat you are technically not anchored. You are a position fisherman.

So who has the courtesy right of way for the spot two fisherman in different boats want to fish?

Even if one of the boats is drifting, shouldn't they still have some sort of boat control so they can avoid collision problems.

I know (all) boats are to do what is necessary to avoid a collision but what is the courtesy rule?

Casting Call
Casting Call
What rope? just use a shallow water anchor. possession is 9/10s of the rule? Tony
PstMactear said:
As a fisherman with a spot lock on his front trolling motor I have wondered does using my spot lock constitute anchored or just position fishing?

I have been reading that drift fisherman while boat drifting, sometimes let their path get too close to spotlocked fisherman who become upset. They state that I am anchored here.

Thinking about this situation, I believe without anchor rope out to an anchor then attached to a boat you are technically not anchored. You are a position fisherman.

So who has the courtesy right of way for the spot two fisherman in different boats want to fish?

Even if one of the boats is drifting, shouldn't they still have some sort of boat control so they can avoid collision problems.

I know (all) boats are to do what is necessary to avoid a collision but what is the courtesy rule?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
The way that I normally look at it is who was there first? Assuming in your scenario that one fisherman has spotlock set and a boat drifting with the current comes up to the spotlocked boat, then the drifting fisherman should do what they can to stay out of the way. Like Tony said, possession is 9/10's of the law. If you are there first then the spot is yours.

Reactions: jamisonace and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Law! What law? Who's law? I think said 'rule". Some of us will fight over the last 1% (of 9/10s of the rule) Click BANG! LOL and ROTFLMAO Tony

Diehard
Diehard
I personally dont like to be that guy that will anchor in a traditional trolling lane go with the flow so to speak but if your stopped and fishing a spot they can go around like it or not good luck out there đź‘Ť

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Consider yourself anchored. If I'm side drifting and you come in and spot lock we'll have problems. If you're there before me, I'll drop my anchor and drift fish.

Reactions: Fishpdx
jamisonace
jamisonace
TheKnigit said:
The way that I normally look at it is who was there first? Assuming in your scenario that one fisherman has spotlock set and a boat drifting with the current comes up to the spotlocked boat, then the drifting fisherman should do what they can to stay out of the way. Like Tony said, possession is 9/10's of the law. If you are there first then the spot is yours.
Precisely how I feel.