Ana Reservoir

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Hello, I am taking my family to summer lake for New Years and we are going to be doing some fishing in Ana reservoir and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with either trout or more importantly the hybrid white bass. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on catching the hybrid bass as far as locations or baits. Thanks!

Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
I fished the res and river years ago in the fall. We had time to kill before dinner at the cowboy dinner tree. Really impressive fish that are super hard to catch. No tips here but good luck.

Irishrover
Irishrover
jamisonace said:
I fished the res and river years ago in the fall. We had time to kill before dinner at the cowboy dinner tree. Really impressive fish that are super hard to catch. No tips here but good luck.
So how was the dinner? Have always wanted to try the place out.

As for Ana reservoir I have a couple of friends that fish it in late spring for trout. They do well, but they never mention bass. Winter might be a good time to fish it because the snakes should be sleeping. These friends I mentioned they were leggings to fend off possible rattler bites.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:
So how was the dinner? Have always wanted to try the place out.

As for Ana reservoir I have a couple of friends that fish it in late spring for trout. They do well, but they never mention bass. Winter might be a good time to fish it because the snakes should be sleeping. These friends I mentioned they were leggings to fend off possible rattler bites.
Dinner was memorable but I wouldn't say delicious. Great experience though. I would do it again. You will be eating your 2 pound steak and whole chicken for days....very large portions.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Yes rattlers; the lake is ok the real fishing for trout is in the creek!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Wipers are odd fish. I’ve caught a good number, I wish to hell we had them in more places out here. They won’t take the place over, after all.

You have a few options. They follow their nose quite a bit, more than many gamefish, almost like a catfish. In fact, “catfishing” for them works pretty good if they are sulky, which they well may be if the water is under 50. They are low-light feeders, and you will probably do best fishing the hour before the sun comes up to an hour or two after first light, the bite lasts longer if it stays cloudy. PM last light type bites can be good too. We always fished through the night, until the bite fell off once the sun came up.

Circle hooks on Carolina Rigs. Crawfish tails, (most folks peel them) mussels, and chicken livers are the holy trinity of wiper baits. Chunked fresh shad, herring, alewife, smelt etc also works very well. Everything as fresh as possible, fresh baits will outperform nasty ones.

For lures, they will crush jerkbaits, slender minnow imitating spoons, grubs/bucktails, spinnerbaits, soft swimbaits like Keitechs and the like, and… topwaters, if it is warm enough. Walking baits like Sammys and Super Spooks in clear, chrome, and bone colors. Colors on everything else should be pearls/whites, silver/smokes, and your basic baitfish looking colored hardbaits with Ghost Minnow or Sexy Shad type colors. A splash of chartreuse is a very good idea.

I’ve caught a good number of them on four pound test, including some brutes in the mid to high teens, not because I enjoy that sort of thing, but because they can get terribly, terribly snotty at times. Way worse than any trout I’ve ever come across. I’d much rather use 10-15lb line for them, because they are nitro burning’ funny cars once you hook them. You will know it is not a trout. 😆

And that leads me to another point… all your gear has to be right. Fresh line, smooth drags, good stout split rings, 2x or 3x heavy trebles, and check and re check your knots. They are just extremely good at making your gear explode if you aren’t careful. It’s not as bad in colder water, but they still let you know they hate your guts.

Also, again, not as bad in the cold water, but they don’t leave anything on the table. They will fight till they are totally gassed, and tend to die if you don’t get them back in the water ASAP and revive them. They are decent eating (cut away the red meat along the lateral line) but I respect them too much as a gamefish to want to kill them if I can help it. After all, they can’t replenish their numbers.

I love them to pieces and miss the heck out of them. I’ll probably get down that way at some point.

Good luck, I really hope you get some.

SS

Reactions: O. mykiss
Irishrover
Irishrover
jamisonace said:
Dinner was memorable but I wouldn't say delicious. Great experience though. I would do it again. You will be eating your 2 pound steak and whole chicken for days....very large portions.
Thanks, I'll pack a doggy bag.;)

troutdude
troutdude
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Well, fishing at Ana was really disappointing. We fished the reservoir for 5 hours with a variety of different baits and lures targeting both trout and wipers without so much as a bite. We then went and fished the river and a canal where we have done very well. Only had two hits…
After talking to some locals, they said with everyone being out of work that everything has been overfished and that fishing is been very tough. Very disappointing, I have had some amazing fishing over there in the past.

• Sad
Reactions: troutdude