Amazing way to break in the new trout rod

F
Finneus Polebender
Grabbed the wife switched over the gear for the river and headed out to clearwater. finalized all my gear changes while i waited on the shuttle. My wife returned and off we went drifting and casting her new rod I had a friend build . got just a few 100 yards down and I had already managed a pretty birds nest cuz I decided I had to fish ultra light baitcasters trying to master them. Called to the wife told her i was pullin over to get untangled she eventually banked 100yrds downstream. I proceeded to work with my mess when all of a sudden i hear Dave Dave help its not a trout! I look over and all i could see was her pole tip bent way over and line screamin out. I yelled to her dont horse him and dont touch the line or drag keep it tight your gonna have to wear him out. Needless to say I did absolutely nothing but make sure the drag was set right when we switched gear. My amazing wife hooked , fought through at least 15 runs with , and landed/banked a 6 lb steelhead on her new trout rod I had built for her on 4lb test!!!! Completly on her own ! Ryan that rod with the smoothness of the pfluger drag was totally amazing. Here are her pics one happy girl :clap::clap::clap: 1.jpgsteelhead and rod.jpg 001.jpg006.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
T
TTFishon
Sweet!!! Nice looking steely!!!

H
halibuthitman
those pflueger reels are amazing... and apparently so is your wife!

S
Santiam338
I love surprises..Great job with the trout gear..I bet it was fun..

Soooo, how was the trout fishing?

F
Finneus Polebender
Santiam338 said:
I love surprises..Great job with the trout gear..I bet it was fun..

Soooo, how was the trout fishing?

Trout fishin was slow caught 4-5 but she was happy with the surprise steelhead thomas bouyant strikes again!

C
ChezJfrey
So the lesson here for me is to switch to my trout rod and make sure to have 4 lb. test? :)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...but regardless, congratulations and 'job well done' to her is certainly in order!

F
Finneus Polebender
halibuthitman said:
those pflueger reels are amazing... and apparently so is your wife!

She fought that thing perfect,it was 24" and exactly 6 lbs . She never let up on her and made it look easy!

F
fishindude
Outstanding !!!!:clap::clap::clap:

E
eggs
Wow awesome story.. I bet that was a blast to watch and I bet she had even more fun with the fight!

J
JeannaJigs
Hell yeah!! That's awesome!! Congrats on that one for sure! I was thinking about doing that float this week after work, might take the trout gear lol

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome fish. gotta love suprises

R
ryan808
Awesome catch Lisa, way to add one to team polebender. Im glad the rod worked out for you. Funny that i showed the wife this post, now she wants a rod like yours.

L
lilsalmon
nice one Alisa.....that must have been a sweet surprise....is that the float you were telling me about?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Sweet!! Way to go. Makes me want to get out and catch a summer steelhead! On a spoon too, bet that was fun!

B
bigsteel
way to go finneus and wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
Mad dog
Very nice looking fish! And excellent job on 4 lb. test!!! :clap:

Yesterday, while on our way to Vancouver, we were between Springfield and the Armitage park when we passed a rig pulling a small trailer with 2 toons and trout rods when my son hollered out "Wow, look at that!" Of course I didn't see it but he said they had a cooler with what looked to be the tail of about a 10 lb. steelhead hanging out of it! :D

F
Finneus Polebender
Thinkin they are in there pretty good thats the third ever I ve seen on that thomas bouyant. Ive been told they love that copper fish pattern just know the trout dig them too and then every once in a while bam !I am sure its the one she told you about Rose. I am still impressed with the way she fought that fish on such light line ,i think I would have busted it off.

L
lilsalmon
very impressive.....

S
sherman
Dave your just used to a hard set on Bass. It looks like lisa showed you how it's done with the light touch.
You gotta love that a 6lb fish on 4lb test.

F
Finneus Polebender
sherman said:
Dave your just used to a hard set on Bass. It looks like lisa showed you how it's done with the light touch.
You gotta love that a 6lb fish on 4lb test.

Yup I just get too acustom to heavy gear, stiff hook sets,and horseing fish around, have all but forgotten how to play fish especially on anything that light!