Am I lost?

J
junk4jones
I know it's 'supposed' to take many days and hours to 'earn' your first steelhead. Guess I need some reassurance, maybe some help.

I've been wading and nymphing with my 9-weight fly rod whenever I can on the upper Nestucca (3 weeks ago), Little North Santiam (last weekend), and Eagle Creek (today), but in all those hours I've never had a strike, seen a fish, or even seen another fisherman. I'm not complaining about the quiet rivers--it's worth doing just to get out on great water. But I can't tell if I'm anywhere near the fish. Am I on the wrong parts of the rivers? Mis-reading the water? Failing to get my fly down low where the fish are?

I can't get away from family (kids are 9, 6, and 2) to fish very often, so when I do get a few hours I want to do it right. And of course that makes 4 people questioning my judgment, competence, and motivation every time I come home without a fish. Ha!

I've read everything I can get my hands on. But at some point a guy needs to step into the water and learn by doing. I guess I'm begging for a coach. I've already spent more on fishing than my family wants me to and can't afford a guide. I need a kindly soul to take me under their wing.

Anyone available and willing to help a learner out? I'm hoping to hit the water again next Monday (early or late, doesn't matter) if I can swing the family angle. A longer-term plan might be sometime the week of March 19-26.

Thanks!

W
waco
are you driving a white subaru??

J
junk4jones
Nope. Silver Ford Ranger.

B
beaverfan
PM me sometime, I'll show you some spots and give ya some pointers.

S
Spydeyrch
junk4jones said:
I can't get away from family (kids are 9, 6, and 2) to fish very often, so when I do get a few hours I want to do it right. And of course that makes 4 people questioning my judgment, competence, and motivation every time I come home without a fish. Ha!
Thanks!

Hey, I know how it goes. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old with another one cooking in the oven, due in April. Anytime I go fishing, my kids sigh and just roll their eyes at me. The other day I was looking at gear and my son (5) walks up to me and says:

"Daddy, why do you go fishing? You never catch anything."

Ouch!!! ahahahahaha :)

Hopefully you can find someone that will give you some tips. Good luck!!

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
nestucca and eagle creek are your best bets,,little north santiam you will be hard pressed to find a steelhead..

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
"Daddy, why do you go fishing? You never catch anything."-Spydey

Just tell the little bugger, that's it's called fishing and not "catching".

Hang in there Junk. It's just a matter of time and dialing into the right water w/ the right presentation. And there are plenty of peeps on here, who will gladly help you out. You've come to the right place to ask your question, and to get some help.

Good luck!

B
bernduffy
I hear you. Last winter I started out with 8 day trips..nada...zero...zippo fish. But I stuck with it and when things warmed up and trout season began, I began to have fun. Caught 48 fish before the year ended. Looking back I realize those lonely empty days were the time it took to put it all together: how to tie knots, manage gear, try setups, hook size, weighting, bait knowledge, lure making, reading water, what to wear when, talking to experienced fishers etc.
I think you are on the right track looking for some coaching, but keep learning on your own, too. It does get better and it's totally worth it. I get out every week if only for a few hours. It's reduced my stress level enormously. Tell your family that that Dad is a better Dad if he can get away for a bit.
As far as coming home with no fish, explain that it's a learning process. You're trying to learn how to read water, like they are trying to learn how to read books. It takes time.
Good luck and hang in there.

Bernie

Y
youngbuck307
Ec is done for the year pretty much hatch hasn't got **** back in 2 weeks. know of a buddy who talked to some workers and they think it's over.... I'm a sandy guy now and u all know how much I'm on that creek!

Last edited: