Am I just asking for it, or...

D
dude young
...can I actually use my little boat to go crabbing IF the conditions are right?

I have a 12' Lowe lil'jon with a 3hp outboard. I am thinking of hitting the bay and getting off the water well within the slack tide. Also considering hitting it during low slack, so I can hit some flats for clams while the pots soak.

Is this stupid? What bay(s) would be the best bet for this zanny idea?

Thanks. Dude.

G
GDBrown
I'd try Netart bay. It is small and well sheltered from rough weather. I've also seen people crabbing in Siletz Bay right by Mo's restaurant, they just dragged their little boat down from the parking lot and rowed out to set their pots.

S
StreamFixer
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE wear your lifejacket at all times on the water. Won't do you much good just having it under the seat if problems arise, especially in a smaller boat.

As a life-long Oregonian and boater I was surprised and shocked at what I learned.

S
Swamp Puppy
Netart's would be your best bet in that small of a craft. even in a bit of wind the water is fairly benign and the best crabbing can be had right outside of the launch.

i would recommend staying out of the mouth during the outgoing tide as that is a really strong current...unless you have enough motor on the boat to overcome it, but really no need to go out there anyway.

good luck!

T
Thuggin4Life
I have a 12' er and crab out of florence with it. I"ll will go right up to were you are looking out the jaws. I had a 6 and now a 9.9 though. With your 3 i would go at low slack so you know you wont have any trouble getting upstreem if you go near the sea. Aslo plan on taking it to waldport and the guy I bought it from had it in half moon bay.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I go out in Yaquina in a 10' pontoon and oars so it can be done just be REALLY careful, obviously. Be on the watch for the last things you would expect: Large vessels that you can 't hear and can't stop because they have lost power, don't ever stop paying attention to the wind and keep it in your mind if you hit pockets that protect you, It can change really quickly. Have a set of oars with reliable locks (I have broken several on multiple occasions, two on one trip back in trying to fight a wind and current that I wasn't expecting), just be careful of EVERYTHING and have the Coast Guard on speed dial.

D
diggindan
I'd stick with the small bays. They don't get as rough and have shorter boat rides. Alsea and Netarts are good for sure.
Good Luck, Dan

M
Mike123
I got a 12' flat bottom thats really stable. But I have a 6hp and it's not enough motor to get you outta trouble. I did it fine though.. you don't get around very fast.

G
gordo
StreamFixer said:
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE wear your lifejacket at all times on the water.

Excellent advice, and excellent article. I just was reading to my fiancee the other night an incredibly similar excerpt from a wilderness survival book I have. LOTS to worry about with cold water immersion before you even get the chance to worry about hypothermia.

As for PFDs, absolutely right. Ever since the gentleman died on the Sandy River on Halloween trying to cross near Cedar Creek, I have been vigilant in wearing my PFD every time I put my waders on. I just have a kayaking PFD, but I understand they make some nice fishing vests/PFDs now too...

Going in the water? Wear your PFD!!! Simply put, it will save your life

T
Thuggin4Life
I was suprised how the 6 horse I had handled against the tide. Some people had me woried about getting sucked back to sea on an outgoing tide. Your right mike it doesn't make for a speedy getaway(specially with 3 adults and fishing gear) but I got a 9.9 now and it handles just right.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
I was suprised how the 6 horse I had handled against the tide. Some people had me woried about getting sucked back to sea on an outgoing tide. Your right mike it doesn't make for a speedy getaway(specially with 3 adults and fishing gear) but I got a 9.9 now and it handles just right.

Yea I bet that 9.9 works good! My boat on the tag says it's designed for a 10hp. So I'm wondering what a 12 or 15hp would do?! :D:lol: I bet ya I could pass some of the big sleds! :dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Mike123 said:
Yea I bet that 9.9 works good! My boat on the tag says it's designed for a 10hp. So I'm wondering what a 12 or 15hp would do?! :D:lol: I bet ya I could pass some of the big sleds! :dance:

My tag said 7.5 thats why its no longer there. 9.9 is plenty solo and i even have to put some wieght in the bow to get it to not bounce so much. 2 people it doesn't quite plane but isn't buldozing water. 3 is slow about equal to 2 with my 6. I think the boat could handle a 15 and would be quick with 2 and perfect with 3 but might not want to trottle up all the way solo with out something weighing down the front. 15 with 2 guys I'm sure some of the bigger boats would be blasting by me like they did with my 6.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
My tag said 7.5 thats why its no longer there. 9.9 is plenty solo and i even have to put some wieght in the bow to get it to not bounce so much. 2 people it doesn't quite plane but isn't buldozing water. 3 is slow about equal to 2 with my 6. I think the boat could handle a 15 and would be quick with 2 and perfect with 3 but might not want to trottle up all the way solo with out something weighing down the front. 15 with 2 guys I'm sure some of the bigger boats would be blasting by me like they did with my 6.

I knew a guy who had a 25hp on his 14' little V-hull fishing boat. It was flat out scary! It would haul arse!!!

H
halibuthitman
I had twin 25's on the back of a 16' lund with a center console and decked floor, had a 22 gallon aluminum fuel tank in the bow..... that boat was awsome... in two years of running around kodiak I had beat most of the rivets out of it... I wish I had it back:(

J
juggernaut506
My 14' Alumacraft works great with my 9.9 Honda. A couple summers ago I went from McCartney Park down to Peoria and back again on less then 3 gallons of gas. Didn't even have a problem in the fast spots.
With a 12' boat and a 3 horse you shouldn't have a problem in Alsea Bay. Even during the changing tides if you find you can't fight the current there's plenty of beach room to wait it out.

D
dude young
Thanks all,

You've all certainly set my mind at ease. So, as soon as I get me some pots, I am on my way west until my flask floats.

And, I knew a dood that put a 40 horse on a 14' boat. Launched it, fired it up, cracked the throttle, watched the motor torque right off the transom and straight to the bottom of the lake. Ha ha!

Oh boy, I can taste the crab bisque now...

O
Outdoor_Myers
GDBrown said:
I'd try Netart bay. It is small and well sheltered from rough weather. I've also seen people crabbing in Siletz Bay right by Mo's restaurant, they just dragged their little boat down from the parking lot and rowed out to set their pots.

I went to that siletz bay! there where sea lions on some kind of peninsula right there?

J
JMR
Outdoor_Myers said:
I went to that siletz bay! there where sea lions on some kind of peninsula right there?
I also dropped some pots in siletz last fall and did great. Small area to crab and never really see a ton of other boats. I guess you could almost swim to the bank if you have issues as long as you've not already drifted past the bar on an out going tide. If thats the case, watch the hell out for those narly breakers an call Coast Gaurd. Just keep it to the incoming tides. I'm wondering how the crabbing is this time of year. I want to go back, but not sure when is the best time of year to crab????