Alton Baker

GoDucks1
Has anybody fished the Willamette where the Alton Baker canal runs into it? I see this location essentially everyday as I drive over the Ferry Street bridge and am intrigued by it. The speed at which the water flows into the river creates some turbidity that I think may also create some holding water for steel. I'll probably try running some spinners through it in the near future, thought I'd check here first.
 
Kodiak
Hmmm

Hmmm

My personal expierience is steeies just don't like getting knocked around in the turbid water, however will hold just behind where it starts to smooth out, springers will hold in that type of water waiting for a hapless glob of eggs to drift on by.
 
GoDucks1
Thanks Kodiak. I could definitely try both of those tactics at this location. I might stick out like a sore thumb doing it, but hey it's Eugene they dig the unordinary.
 
Kodiak
Thats true!!!! Good luck.
 
Troutski
Town run...

Town run...

GoDucks1 said:
Has anybody fished the Willamette where the Alton Baker canal runs into it? I see this location essentially everyday as I drive over the Ferry Street bridge and am intrigued by it. The speed at which the water flows into the river creates some turbidity that I think may also create some holding water for steel. I'll probably try running some spinners through it in the near future, thought I'd check here first.

That area is commonly call the "Town Run" and that particular confluence is famous for Steel and Chinook. Up stream is also very productive for Trout and CutThroat, pay close attention to the flow through that area as the grade of the bottom starts to drop off quickly. If the flow isn't to high try about 50 yards above where the water comes in....and let your spinner sweep into the current, I have done quite well there in the early Spring...good luck and keep an eye up stream for floating debris...

Chuck
 
GoDucks1
Thank's Chuck. That's even a little reassuring to me to hear that I wasn't crazy for thinking that might be a productive location. I will definitely have to give the spot a try.
 
JeannaJigs
Most definitely a productive spot above and also there's quite a few places below, if you have a bike you can hit up about 20 spots between there and beltline on the bike path. I often don't like to fish it because of it being in town, there's too much going on, I much prefer being up on the mckenzie way up above leaburg, but...when gas funds don't allow for such serenity...i hit up the bike path. There's a foot bridge and I can't recall the name of it, but it's the second one upstream of the beltline bridge, and I know a guy that has filled his tag fishing that area and that area alone for summer steel.
 
fourgotten
JeannaJigs said:
There's a foot bridge and I can't recall the name of it, but it's the second one upstream of the beltline bridge, and I know a guy that has filled his tag fishing that area and that area alone for summer steel.

Isn't that the bridge that goes from Skinner's Butte park to VRC?
 
JeannaJigs
fourgotten said:
Isn't that the bridge that goes from Skinner's Butte park to VRC?
no it's just below that, there's a park but it's not skinner's butte, it's accessible from river road.
 
Top Bottom