Rivers Alton Baker Canal Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
troutdude
troutdude
hobster said:
I haven’t fished there in forever, saw a kid pull a steelhead out of there years ago.

Yeah I've heard that they slip into the creek, from the mouth at the Willy.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
hooksman said:
Went out to AB last night, fish jumping everywhere but not a lot of bites. Of the 4 or 5 fisherman at the pond I was the only one who caught anything. Got a little guy just like your top right, wasn't sure what it was so I threw him back. Maybe 8 or 9 inches. Got one rainbow, about 11 inches long but pretty thin, hooked deep in the gills and bleeding everywhere so I kept him.

Is the top right a perch? Can you keep them, and if so are they good to eat?
Where were you at? Fly fishing in the float tube?

I was out here last night on the green/tan/black kayak

It is a perch but I'm not sure what the regs are, I know they eat them in the Midwest.

F
fish4life
Yes you can keep perch, that is a good size one and they are good to eat, deep fried or fish tacos.

hooksman
hooksman
NKlamerus said:
Where were you at? Fly fishing in the float tube?
I was fishing from the bank, AB pond near the inlet on the south side, from about 7-9 p.m. Had an 8 y/o with me.

Saw a group of 3 kayaks and the fly fisherman in the float tube - he's there about every day as far as I can tell. Or maybe we just always go at the same time. Didn't see if any of the boaters caught anything but none of the bank fisherman got a thing that I could see.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
hooksman said:
I was fishing from the bank, AB pond near the inlet on the south side, from about 7-9 p.m. Had an 8 y/o with me.

Saw a group of 3 kayaks and the fly fisherman in the float tube - he's there about every day as far as I can tell. Or maybe we just always go at the same time. Didn't see if any of the boaters caught anything but none of the bank fisherman got a thing that I could see.
I definitely saw you! It was packed out there today, I got off the water about 8pm, I remember the group of the 3 tied up together further north.

I caught one trout last night, the group of 3 did as well.

I'll post another thread with today's catch

hooksman
hooksman
NKlamerus said:
I'll post another thread with today's catch
Good luck! I can't make it back out til Monday most likely. Got some work to finish up around the house.

I caught the perch in some weeds very near the bank, on orange-colored garlic power eggs. I might try that spot again to see if I can land another.

bass
bass
Great report folks! Pretty cool on the good-sized perch and the nice bass.

hooksman
hooksman
Fish were biting like crazy tonight! I hauled in four rainbows between 9"-11" and my boy caught two - including a nice fat 13-incher. The fly fisherman guy on the float tube probably caught and released 20-30 while we were there.

troutdude
troutdude
hooksman said:
I caught the perch in some weeds very near the bank, on orange-colored garlic power eggs. I might try that spot again to see if I can land another.

Bobber and worm is also a good combination for perch.

P
PursuitFishing
Say what!! I live so close to AB and never even thought of bass being in there. The water is pretty cold for them. Mind blown.

D
Dnyed
Is AB pond the one in the middle of the park? Or is it the long, narrow pond near the entrance with the disc golf course? (behind La Quinta and the car dealerships)? I also had no idea that bass are in there.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Dnyed said:
Is AB pond the one in the middle of the park? Or is it the long, narrow pond near the entrance with the disc golf course? (behind La Quinta and the car dealerships)? I also had no idea that bass are in there.
I think more people reference the main pond by the radio towers

But I've seen bass all the way to the park

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Had to fight my way through duck fans as there is a duck game tonight at home.

Fished the pond and walked all the way down to the science center, couple people have caught a few on orange powerbait but it's just too slow for me. Plenty of smaller fish schooled up in the pond.

Threw a panther martin and eventually picked up 2 for dinner.

Beaver are everywhere, dropped a few trees around the lake so some of the spots are blocked. Is the public allowed to buck them up and move them if a beaver abandons them?

0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wozniasm and Admin
Admin
Admin
those are fatties

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Went again this morning, only 1 other guy fishing.

No fish seen or caught, fished the pond and walked down to the dog park.

troutdude
troutdude
NKlamerus said:
Beaver are everywhere

Why? It's not time for the Civil War game. LOL

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Took another 2 home this evening

20191117_162641.jpg 20191117_161440.jpg

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
Admin
Admin
Is it you on fire or Alton Baker?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Anatoliy said:
Is it you on fire or Alton Baker?
Not sure lol, there's not enough people posting to be too sure

I power fish more than other people, its all about covering water. Probably got that from fishing in Florida for so long, I don't see a lot of others doing it up here

Reactions: Markk and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Howdy gang, back with an Alton Baker Canal report!

Water was BUSY! Lots of paddlers, dog walkers, and definitely people fishing.

Some guys at the launch we're catching trout, there was a school eating off the surface and they were inhaling power bait

Few people at the pond with trout as well

I paddled in on the new kayak after figuring out how to stop it from sinking and smoked a largemouth!

Scale read 5lbs 6oz

Reactions: OliverW, imHOOKED, Raincatcher and 4 others
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom