Rivers Alton Baker Canal Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Off day for me! I missed 3 Bass, one had broken off, and the third one I had underneath the kayak, babying it because I had broke off the last one, and it got in the weeds and unhooked itself..... definitely best one of the day

Caught 1 trout in the pond, I would imagine it got absolutely slammed by people over memorial day weekend, hasn't been restocked since.

Check out this bluegill though! Pretty decent size!

• 20200526_175405.jpg
  • 20200526_164819.jpg
  • 20200526_181412.jpg
Reactions: Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
What an incredible evening, trout in there are THICK. Healthiest rainbows I've seen for sure. Lost the biggest trout I've seen in there this year, it was carrying the powerworm by the tail and it still fought to the kayak!

Bassing was HOT! They were blasting a topwater frog and one fish on a senko.

Also saw a new species of carp but not sure what it is, looks brown/black on the top with white bottom and anal fins. Probably a school of 30, common carp?

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Those are some really nice fish! Thanks for the report.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Best day of trout fishing I've ever had out there. Easily 50+ trout between 2 guys. Rain was on and off, they were hitting everything. Worms, spinners, you name it!

I caught 2 large fish, one at 21 and 4lbs20z and one at 19 about 3lbs

One bass as well.

my2labs
my2labs
Weird how that bow looks like a cross with a chum salmon.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
It was originally a normal shade, the stripes came after being on the stringer for an hour? They turn pale real quick but especially in a cooler

Side note I forgot to mention, I need a new stringer!

I had clipped the first fish and set it in the water only to watch a double half hitch come loose from the caribeaner in slow motion. The wind was just right the fish, still stunned, went under the kayak as I drifted over it. Luckily, I grabbed the net and leaned down as far as I could and was able to net it just as she started kicking, couldn't believe it. Would have loved to have a GoPro for a moment like that.

If she would have came to a couple seconds earlier, someone else would have caught a rainbow with a clip locked to it's lower lip!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Another day! Seeing more and more people fishing for bass, I guess my secret is out!

Got to watch them stock it today at the pond side. Pretty cool to watch and the fish they put in were hungry for sure, one of the homeowners who pontoons it with a fly rod caught over 100 in 3 days last weekend!

Caught over 25 trout in 2 hours, mostly on the worm but I ended with 5 on a rooster tail! Fly looked fun but he came over and asked what I was using. lol

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Rough day for bass....but a great day for trout!!

I caught 34 today in 4 hours. Mostly in the cloudy weather, they slowed when the sun came out!

Water is still a tad high but it is very cloudy, almost brown, from the rain.

Mostly fish in the worm, with some panther Martin fish as well.

And, another trophy! 19"!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Bite was tough yesterday in the heat, truck had it at 87 degrees before I launched about 4pm

Probably a dozen or so trout, and one decent chunky bass

Trout were keyed in in moving water, I caught a bunch in the canal before heading to the lake

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Something different, caught one small pikeminnow and trout in the creek, I was on foot today

Hit the pond in front of the science center with some trout gear, lost 2 more small bass

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Well it happened. Came back to the truck about 9pm and the rear window was smashed, got away with an empty backpack, couple hats and gloves, biggest loss was a 4" buck knife.

Caught some fish, saw a beaver.

Markk
Markk
I got my window smashed last year over by Florence surf perch fishing. I now leave my truck without anything of value in it and the doors are unlocked...

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
NKlamerus said:
Well it happened. Came back to the truck about 9pm and the rear window was smashed, got away with an empty backpack, couple hats and gloves, biggest loss was a 4" buck knife.

Caught some fish, saw a beaver.

Really sorry to hear about your truck. I like how you focused on the good side of your trip.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
That sucks. I'm glad you had a good time on the water before coming back to your truck.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Decent day in the water, ended the day with 23 trout, biggest probably 14"

Lost a really nice bass under the kayak, I was letting a senko sit while I re-rigged another line and all the sudden the rod took off. Fought it to the kayak but it dug into the weeds while I messed with the drag and it came off....

Reactions: Aervax and Admin
Aervax
Aervax
Without a pic of that big bass I'm just seeing another fisherman with his lips moving....

...great report by the way.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Aervax said:
Without a pic of that big bass I'm just seeing another fisherman with his lips moving....

...great report by the way.
Rub it in why don't you [emoji23]

I'll be thinking about that one for awhile, I've lost more fish there in the weeds than anywhere else.

No more senko on that rod, the spinning reel is the way to go.

Reactions: Aervax
OliverW
OliverW
I'm gonna hopefully hop over there and try to get my mom to drive tomorrow. The hard part is convincing her that alton Baker isn't full of sketchy people in the canal area

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
OliverW said:
I'm gonna hopefully hop over there and try to get my mom to drive tomorrow. The hard part is convincing her that alton Baker isn't full of sketchy people in the canal area
I'll be out there tomorrow as well, look for the green ascend kayak,straw hat, and camo Crocs, can't miss me lol

Just stay east of the dog park, it's all relatively clean other than passer buys and occasionally someone sleeping under the concrete pathway bridge

Reactions: OliverW
OliverW
OliverW
NKlamerus said:
I'll be out there tomorrow as well, look for the green ascend kayak,straw hat, and camo Crocs, can't miss me lol

Just stay east of the dog park, it's all relatively clean other than passer buys and occasionally someone sleeping under the concrete pathway bridge
It hasn't been too bad the times I've been there. Gonna grab my friend Sam and hopefully be out around 10. I'm gonna try and catch some of the black carp that are there. Saw a school of them last time right at the shore. If all else fails I'll go for some bass and trout. Catching bass never gets old tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom