Rivers Alton Baker Canal Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
On the water about noon and got off at 4, lots and lots of people fishing as well as just kayaking

I ended the day with 27 trout, one nice kicker! Plenty of fat short fish out there

• 20200712_161423.jpg
  • 20200712_141520.jpg
  • 20200712_123420.jpg
  • 20200712_122659.jpg
  • 20200712_122655.jpg
  • 20200712_122446.jpg
Reactions: OliverW
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
2 reports behind, I fished it on Thursday and Friday and caught plenty of trout both days!

It was stocked on Friday but the first were really grouped up, usually they disperse a little

One of them looked like it had escaped a hawk more than once, just unlucky I suppose

Reactions: Admin
M
Mickdawg75
Gonna hit up the Canal later next week. Where is the “Prime” spot? Also, what’s best for bait?

bass
bass
Great job @NKlamerus ! I would have guessed that it would be too hot for trout. The Willamette around Portland is about 74 degrees right now. Is ABC spring fed? Any idea what the water temp is in the canal? Any idea what the Willamette temp is down your way?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Mickdawg75 said:
Gonna hit up the Canal later next week. Where is the “Prime” spot? Also, what’s best for bait?
I prefer the pond but after they stocked it look for any action in the canals, youll see them schooled up In holes or feeding

Local guy throws powerbait every day, I throw a fake 3" worm on a jighead or a panther Martin

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
Great job @NKlamerus ! I would have guessed that it would be too hot for trout. The Willamette around Portland is about 74 degrees right now. Is ABC spring fed? Any idea what the water temp is in the canal? Any idea what the Willamette temp is down your way?
Not actually sure on temp but I may be able to find out!

The canal is fed by an inlet from the Willamette at West D boat ramp, there's a control there so the city/county(?) can control the water level, and drains back into the willamette under the Peter Defazio bridge, there is multiple water dams and runs between the two but I always hear stories of catching monster steelhead in the canal.

I've caught some natural unclipped trout there, figured they must have swam in from upstream

OliverW
OliverW
I'll be at the pond over next to autzen tomorrow morning

M
Mickdawg75
OliverW said:
I'll be at the pond over next to autzen tomorrow morning
Most likely I’ll be there early evening tomorrow.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Mickdawg75 said:
Most likely I’ll be there early evening tomorrow.
Maybe I'll see y'all out there, not sure what my plans are

Would be nice to see some clouds! Water there has got to be heating up quickly

OliverW
OliverW
NKlamerus said:

I was out there for a few hours and had no bites the whole time I was there. My brother lost one of my spinners in a tree though 🤣

M
Mickdawg75
NKlamerus said:

Was waaaaay too hot yesterday to have gone out. For me it would’ve been okay, but I also would have had my 19 month old daughter and my heat sensitive wife in tow, and chances are they would’ve been miserable.

hooksman
hooksman
I haven't been to the pond yet this year, though I'll have a lot of time OFF coming up so I'll probably try it a few times in the coming weeks. Evening seems like it might be too warm to fish with this hot weather, so I'll probably head over in the mornings. Got a new rod and some new tackle I want to try out. Are they still stocking it? Or have they suspended stocking with the heat? Anybody know?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
hooksman said:
I haven't been to the pond yet this year, though I'll have a lot of time OFF coming up so I'll probably try it a few times in the coming weeks. Evening seems like it might be too warm to fish with this hot weather, so I'll probably head over in the mornings. Got a new rod and some new tackle I want to try out. Are they still stocking it? Or have they suspended stocking with the heat? Anybody know?
They stocked it July 24th, I believe the keep going as it's river fed unlike Junction City, the water stays somewhat cooler.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Only 8 fish today, it was HOT out there but the wind about 6pm was a savior, even though if was ripping

About 730 the fish started feeding up top

From what I understand they stocked with 300 fish in the 24th, but they were all smaller fish with no trophies mixed in. Appears to be correct as the local guys haven't seen a decent fish out of there since my last one
inCollage_20200730_192038697.jpg

Reactions: hooksman, Aervax and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Also a few weeks ago one of the "No Parking" signs was missing, but someone has returned and remounted it, thanks for that

Parking lot is slammed this time of year, parking in the corner blocks the loading zone real quick

hooksman
hooksman
I think I'm gonna go tomorrow night. I want to try jigging in some of the weed beds south of the inlet and see if I can catch another yellow perch outta there. I caught one last summer right off the bank, it was maybe 8 or 9 inches and I threw it back. Anybody else ever catch a perch in the pond or the rest of the canal? I've been wondering if there are any larger perch hanging out in the less-fished sections.

Reactions: NKlamerus and OliverW
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
hooksman said:
I think I'm gonna go tomorrow night. I want to try jigging in some of the weed beds south of the inlet and see if I can catch another yellow perch outta there. I caught one last summer right off the bank, it was maybe 8 or 9 inches and I threw it back. Anybody else ever catch a perch in the pond or the rest of the canal? I've been wondering if there are any larger perch hanging out in the less-fished sections.
Yes, quite a few actually

In-between pikeminnow and trout

They are in a report somewhere on the forum, not sure if it's this one

20190816_184641.jpg

R
riverman1
NKlamerus said:

Caught 2 perch last year in the same area of the back pond on yellow and black Panther Martin.

OliverW
OliverW
NKlamerus said:

Would you happen to have caught any carp from the canal? I feel like I should try catching one, but I'm also worried about the trout there eating the corn

hooksman
hooksman
Report for morning 8/5/2020: No pics, sorry. Hit the bank around 7:30 a.m. Fish appeared to be schooled up in the center of the pond, judging by the location of the fly fisherman in the float tube. Water level seems high and water temp was 63 deg F. No luck for the first hour, then switched spots and started hooking fish. Tossed back about a dozen dinks and kept 2 decent fish for the smoker 12" and 11" along with a slim 8"er who was hooked in the guts and bleeding. Bite was steady from 9 to 11 a.m. and then dropped off almost completely by 11:30.

On my last cast I hooked into something big on my light rod, couldn't reel it in. If it wasn't tugging on my line I would have thought it was a snag. The old 6 lb. mono on my reel snapped after a couple minutes. Never saw the fish, it didn't run like a steelie would so I'm guessing it had to be a carp? Anyway, I've got some 10 lb braid on the way so I'll head back out once I re-spool my trout rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom