alternative to lead?

H
here2fish
I make my jigs and was thinking about switching to a different metal besides lead. I know there are alternatives like bismuth and tungsten but do those have the low melting point that lead does? And are they any less toxic than lead?

K
kornphlake
I believe bismuth will melt at a very low temperature, below the boiling point of water IIRC. Tungsten is going to be significantly harder to work with.

T
Troutier Bassier
I read tin is the Best stuff to make weights with, Its shinyer then lead so it attracts more fish.

D
davep
I have used lead free tin/alloy this year on all my jigs...I dont mold my own, I buy them from a guy in Hawaii. (try an internet search of lead free jigs)..he has fair prices that include shipping...I use vinyl paint instead of powder and they work fine...

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Troutier Bassier said:
I read tin is the Best stuff to make weights with, Its shinyer then lead so it attracts more fish.

They lied to you...go tell them to take thier sea kittens and go home!( you could even give them your pink pants)

Working with "other than lead" substances is tuff. The purer the lead the better for several reasons. Every metal has adifferent pitch when it bounces of the bottom. It seams that the dull thuding sound of lead is more attractive than higher pitches. The atomic number of lead is very high, thus making it very dense. Others like tin, bismuth, tungsten are expensive, lighter, and can very difficult to work with. They make a lead babot, super easy to work withis a light tin mix, cheaper than strait lead. With the decrease in density your size must increase to compensate. This represents a serious problem especially for jigs. a 1/16th micro is going to be closer to a 1/8th, and on down the line. If someone could find an acceptable substitue I would be all over it as I don't like the health and enviornmental aspects, but until then I suggest using lead.

K
Kodiak
davep said:
I have used bismuth this year on all my jigs...I dont mold my own, I buy them from a guy in Hawaii. (try an internet search of lead free jigs)..he has fair prices that include shipping...I use vinyl paint instead of powder and they work fine...

Can you not use powder paint on them because of melting point or do you choose not too?
just found tis..Bismuth has amelting point of 519 degrees so it should be fine for powder paint(350 degrees..5 mins). London metal exchange has it's latest price at 11. and something a pound vs lead at $.74/lb.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Dont have my Pink Pants Anymore, I wore them for one day and they were too wide, So I gave them to a Girl.