Alsea winter steelhead

S
SOMCREW
Any Signs of Winter steelhead on the Alsea yet??

O
OnTheDrop
Floated it today. Put in some work hoping for a hookup or two. No Steel... Had to push the boat a few times.

Water being at 3.1 and temps at 23 ain't helping much.

Stopped at the hatchery and saw one piggy in the trap.

It's almost time...

B
bran_man
Want to give it a shot sometime soon!

S
SOMCREW
Thanks for the update Steelmonkiller. It's a far drive for me and my crew but we will be up there this winter with Minor. that river is amazing!!! So tiny yet some Nice fish and great holes

hobster
hobster
bran_man said:
Want to give it a shot sometime soon!

Yes! With this cold its not really worth the gas....................But, it'll warm up soon and should rain Friday.... man I can't wait for this winter run.

I
I3acon
Awesome! I'm trying to get out there on Sunday - will provide an update if it works out. Hey Steelmon, can I ask where you floated?

G
Ghedrick
I was going to ask the same thing. I am planning to float tomorrow but the river seems pretty low. Usually I only float mill cr to salmonberry but with the current flows I was thinking lower would be better. My question is if 3'-3.5' is too low for say 5 rivers to blackberry? I've only floated it once and it was for salmon. Thanks!

J
JeannaJigs
Ghedrick said:
I was going to ask the same thing. I am planning to float tomorrow but the river seems pretty low. Usually I only float mill cr to salmonberry but with the current flows I was thinking lower would be better. My question is if 3'-3.5' is too low for say 5 rivers to blackberry? I've only floated it once and it was for salmon. Thanks!

I'd do 5 rivers to blackberry. That float is primo 3-3.5. Be aware though that the river level guage is off a good amount this year, so if it says 3, it's about 2.6-2.7 in reality, which is a bumpy ride, but there's nothing really technical in that stretch... Wouldn't waste my time on mill creek to salmonberry until it comes up above 5, then it will be game on, but, meh that's just me.

The Alsea run timing is later than the Umpqua and Siuslaw.

S
steelhead_stalkers
We have been out twice. Not fish yet for us and we know probably every inch of the entire river! The fish and game guy I talked to had only seen one fish caught in person! We did miss one or two after the last small bump we had. Just need some rain!

hobster
hobster
Rain, whats that? After last winter im starting to think it doesn't rain here anymore :D

G
Ghedrick
Well we ended up doing five rivers to mike bauer and had a really good (or lucky) day. We ended up hooking 5 steelhead, one being a big nate. Then topped it off with a coho and nook that was still in decent shape too. Definitely need some waters. That first spot below Ermie was pretty skinny!

O
OnTheDrop
Ghedrick said:
Well we ended up doing five rivers to mike bauer and had a really good (or lucky) day. We ended up hooking 5 steelhead, one being a big nate. Then topped it off with a coho and nook that was still in decent shape too. Definitely need some waters. That first spot below Ermie was pretty skinny!

5 steelhead? Let's see some pics. Sounds like a solid day.

1 nut in the water
SteelmonKiller20 said:
5 steelhead? Let's see some pics. Sounds like a solid day.

Pics or it did'nt happen:popcorn:

H
halibuthitman
1 nut in the water said:
Pics or it did'nt happen:popcorn:

who takes a picture of every fish they catch...? :popcorn:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ghedrick said:
Way to get out there and hunt them down! :thumb: Of course, pics would be great, but not everyone thinks of it until afterward, you know, like while feasting on the catch. :D

J
JonT
Looks like a nice float from Missouri Bend park to Campbell County park. I'm just looking at google maps, though, and drooling a little. Anyone do that run?

O
OnTheDrop
Campbell to Missouri- yup a sweeeet drift. Need some water though,