Alsea steelhead

W
Willerman
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been mainly a bass fisherman for a while now, but would like to go after steelhead this weekend as I have some free time. This will me my first time fishing for steelhead, so I am going with a basic bobber/jig setup. I also have some pink worms that I might try as well. I am going to go this weekend despite the conditions; I mainly want to just get a feel for this type of fishing, and hooking a fish would just be a bonus. My questions are: I know it is still early, but where would be my best shot at a steelhead for this time of year on the alsea? The ODFW website said below Five Rivers. Would waders be necessary, or are there good bank spots? Do I need an additional license on top of my regular fishing license, even if I plan to release everything? I have my main line at 15lb mono and 10lb flouro; after reading some posts, should I go down to somewhere around 12lb main, or will 15 still be ok? I might post some more questions as I think of them. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thank you all for your help in advance.

L
LoganGressett
Hey man. Not from your area so I can't give any tips or info about where to go or what to expect. But I thought I'd throw in a few tips on tackle and whatnot.

This is only my second season doing it so I wouldn't say I'm a pro but I catch fish and I've got it down pretty well by now. I pretty much taught myself, just figured out what tackle to get, rigged it up and went out and started practicing and it wasn't long before I was catching fish. I use a bobber/jig set up with a 1/4 oz size 2/0 white jig head and pink worm. That's the only way I've done it and it's been working well. I run 30lb braided line and either 10lb or 15lb mono for the leader. Probably a bit overkill but oh well lol. I'm also using only a 7ft medium action Abu Garcia rod which I also use for bass lol.
A longer rod would be nice but I fish a lot of smaller creeks and rivers so it works fine for me.
Cast up above you and let it float down through the hole or run or wherever you feel fish may be and just keep an eye on your bobber. Sometimes you leave a fair amount of slack other times you try to keep it with a bit of tension so you can feel and don't have a bunch of slack to reel in before setting the hook if a fish takes it. The current will pull your line and drag your bobber along with it sideways if you leave a bunch of slack in a quick current. so you'll want to keep the rod tip high and lift your line. If your river is anything like the places I fish you'll probably get snagged quite a bit or feel your jig catching on rocks and whatnot or have little trout biting and dunking your bobber lol. But when a steelhead takes it you will know and it's on after that! Such a blast, some of the best fishing I've ever done. Just get out and give it a shot and you should get the hang of it pretty quick. Good luck!

W
Willerman
Thanks for the tips. Hearing someone who is self taught (like myself) succeeding gives me confidence. I have a very cheap setup that is 7ft as well. As soon as I save up some money I will buy a higher quality rod and reel. Do you use an inline weight, or just use a swivel?
For anyone that knows the alsea - will it be too muddy after these rains? Or should it be good early Saturday?

C_Run
C_Run
Willerman said:
Thanks for the tips. Hearing someone who is self taught (like myself) succeeding gives me confidence. I have a very cheap setup that is 7ft as well. As soon as I save up some money I will buy a higher quality rod and reel. Do you use an inline weight, or just use a swivel?
For anyone that knows the alsea - will it be too muddy after these rains? Or should it be good early Saturday?

I look at this site and study the graph before I head out.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv?site_no=14306500

Best conditions are when the river is dropping and not rising fast. This site is for predictions of river levels and is also helpful.

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/

L
LoganGressett
You're welcome! And I use an inline weight.

hobster
hobster
Willerman said:
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been mainly a bass fisherman for a while now, but would like to go after steelhead this weekend as I have some free time. This will me my first time fishing for steelhead, so I am going with a basic bobber/jig setup. I also have some pink worms that I might try as well. I am going to go this weekend despite the conditions; I mainly want to just get a feel for this type of fishing, and hooking a fish would just be a bonus. My questions are: I know it is still early, but where would be my best shot at a steelhead for this time of year on the alsea? The ODFW website said below Five Rivers. Would waders be necessary, or are there good bank spots? Do I need an additional license on top of my regular fishing license, even if I plan to release everything? I have my main line at 15lb mono and 10lb flouro; after reading some posts, should I go down to somewhere around 12lb main, or will 15 still be ok? I might post some more questions as I think of them. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thank you all for your help in advance.

I try to always bring waders as they give you so many more oppurtunities to hit different holes. The Alsea drops pretty quick as it is a small river, i'm sure they are starting to come in, it looks to be 6ft. tomorrow and dropping. Great conditions. You have your tags right? You need them especially if you fish the near the hatchery (you need them anyway), cops will check you and fine you since thats pretty much the only fish people are targeting up there.
If the water is a little off color go bigger presentation and use scents. As for the rod, 7 ft. works, but eventually you will want a longer one to mend the line. I just stepped up to a 11'6" from a 10' and love it. Good luck, let us know how you do!

W
Willerman
hobster said:
I try to always bring waders as they give you so many more oppurtunities to hit different holes. The Alsea drops pretty quick as it is a small river, i'm sure they are starting to come in, it looks to be 6ft. tomorrow and dropping. Great conditions. You have your tags right? You need them especially if you fish the near the hatchery (you need them anyway), cops will check you and fine you since thats pretty much the only fish people are targeting up there.
If the water is a little off color go bigger presentation and use scents. As for the rod, 7 ft. works, but eventually you will want a longer one to mend the line. I just stepped up to a 11'6" from a 10' and love it. Good luck, let us know how you do!

Heading to the Philomath fishing store after I get off work in 20 mins to get the combined tag. I have a few 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs in pink/red I will be using, as well as pink worms on a jig head. I will pick up some scent as well. Will up by the hatchery have fish this early in the run? I was going to try farther down like the ODFW website suggests, but if there are some up by the hatchery I would rather do that and save myself from driving an extra 20 miles. Thank you for the help.

C_Run
C_Run
Take the drive and learn the layout. Anywhere there is a place to park usually has a dirt trail to the river unless it's posted. Check out the parks/ramps. Then give us the report!

W
Willerman
C_Run said:
Take the drive and learn the layout. Anywhere there is a place to park usually has a dirt trail to the river unless it's posted. Check out the parks/ramps. Then give us the report!

Will do! Hopefully I will have a picture to go along with the report :)

hobster
hobster
Willerman said:
Will do! Hopefully I will have a picture to go along with the report :)

Yeah, i'd head downriver for sure. Much better chance of hooking up.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Willerman said:
Heading to the Philomath fishing store after I get off work in 20 mins to get the combined tag. I have a few 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs in pink/red I will be using, as well as pink worms on a jig head. I will pick up some scent as well. Will up by the hatchery have fish this early in the run? I was going to try farther down like the ODFW website suggests, but if there are some up by the hatchery I would rather do that and save myself from driving an extra 20 miles. Thank you for the help.

Willerman- good call, the important thing for people to remember is that you need the combined tag to "fish for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon and halibut". It matters not whether you plan to retain or release fish, you must have the tag. hope you get some shiny ones! cheers, roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
YouTube is your friend when learning. Steelheadstalkers has good videos on rigging.

W
Willerman
Thank you all for the advice. Went and got the combined angling tag on top of my regular one. One last question before the morning - should I fix my bobber in place with the stops, or let it slide down to the weight? What are the advantages and disadvantages of sliding vs. in place?

M
montym
Willerman said:
Thank you all for the advice. Went and got the combined angling tag on top of my regular one. One last question before the morning - should I fix my bobber in place with the stops, or let it slide down to the weight? What are the advantages and disadvantages of sliding vs. in place?

Not sure if I understand the question. In a slip bobber rig, when you are casting the bobber will be close to your weight. Once in water, it will slide up to your bobber stop so that you get the required depth. I do use two bobber stops, one above and one below the bobber near the end of the main line. That apparently helps if your mainline breaks at the knot, the lower bobber stop will save your bobber. To be honest, I got into a nice tangle a few days back, and when I pulled hard I got back my mainline without any bobber or bobber stops....50 lb too so I am kind of bugged about that.

Cheers
M

C_Run
C_Run
Willerman said:

I don't get the "let it slide down to the weight". Buy a pack of Beau Mac or Northwest slip bobbers and then follow the little diagram in the packaging or Google images of "bobber and jig". There are some diagrams there, too. You want a bobber stop (pull that sucker tight before you clip the excess) as the first thing from your rod tip, then a bead and then a bobber and then everything else. You can slide the stop to adjust the depth.

M
montym
C_Run said:
(pull that sucker tight before you clip the excess)

I personally prefer the rubber bead bobber stops, a lot easier to handle and no frequent adjusting required. I've had to tie a knot in my main line once or twice to stop it from slipping up, I reckon that was just a mismatched combination of line diameter and stop size...

Reactions: sapo
W
Willerman
Sorry that was a bad explanation. I have it all figured out but was under the impression that some people have the (under) bobber stop up tight to the bobber, instead of giving it room to slide. I'm all rigged up and ready to go. I'll report back in the afternoon.

troutdude
troutdude
Great thread, great questions, great responses. Good luck this morning Willerman! Let us know how you do.

P.S. Tailouts, are great holding water. Also directly behind, and directly in front of, big boulders, bridge supports, etc.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Go get 'em!

S
sapo
troutdude said:
Great thread, great questions, great responses. Good luck this morning Willerman! Let us know how you do.

P.S. Tailouts, are great holding water. Also directly behind, and directly in front of, big boulders, bridge supports, etc.

Good advice TD!