Alsea - skunk

B
brewer
Went down to the Alsea Monday figuring there wouldn't be much of a crowd. Not too many people so I went up near the Hatchery to try that out as I have never fished there. Seemed really low and clear so after I tried for about an hour and a half I decided to head down river and give that a shot. Hit a few holes down river with no luck so I headed back towards home up river. The bridge hole was unoccupied so I stopped there to try it out as I have never fished it before. Fish were jumping and rolling and at one point I could even see a few holding but I couldn't get them to hit anything I threw at them. Couple of guys showed up and were fishing the other side of the river and didn't have any luck either (at least while I was there). Pretty humbling to have that many fish around and not get a single take but that only strengthens my resolve to tangle with a steelhead.

F
fuson22
I fish that "bridge hole" pretty frequently out there on the Alsea. I was looking at my tag from last year and I had already tagged and bagged 6 or 7 steelies by march 1st. But THIS year is a whole different story, sadly... I live in Springfield so it's not exactly in my back yard, but I've still been over there 5 or 6 times since Jan 1st of this year. In early-mid January me and a buddy of mine had both caught a few and lost twice that. But as the water went down, so did the fishing. It was literally good water conditions and a few early chromers that we were puttin on the stringer, to the next weekend the water was so low where we usually fished a little up towards the hatchery from the bridge was just flat un-fishable. The bridge hole is usually a zoo, but if I could get into this 1 slot I like to fish there I could almost guarantee at least hooking a fish or 2. But the water was so freakin low there that slot I usually cast up river to drift it was completely out of the water! So needless to say, last time we were there we left empty handed. It made it even harder to swallow when there was all kinds of chromers rolling and jumping out of the water... But notta 1 was interested at my corky & yarn, yarn balls, bobber & jig, just a beed, drifting my awesome roe :) and even plunking some roe! Something I almost NEVER do. Just not my style. So your not alone bud. But one thing that keeps my hopes alive is, once we get that week of rain we SO badly need, the fishing is going to go from a 1 to a 10! Same goes for the Siuslaw. I'm not even goin to waste the time or gas $ going over there or the Alsea. I'd rather wait it out until we get the rain we need and THEN I'll go lay em out! (hopefully).

M
Matt
I fished the bridge spot with a buddy on Monday for a few hours, too. Saw about a dozen fish jump around, but couldn't get any bites from any of them. We tried using float and jigs, spinners, spoons, and corky's and yarn at every depth imaginable. Fished in Alsea abbbbout 10 times since January 1st. Landed one the first day out, but nooooothing since. Seems like everyone I talk to is having difficulty right now. Since I'm new to the fishing scene (around here, and in general), any suggestions? Been headed out that way at least once a week, just feels like a big waste of gas currently though, haha. I certainly know how you guys are feeling..

B
brewer
Matt & Fusion- that makes me feel better. I new to the steelhead thing, I have more experience on Salmon. I decided this was the winter I was going to catch a Steelhead. Sounds like I should have spent more time making that happen last year. I felt like micro-jigs might have been a good option if I had any with but I tried jig and bobber, bobber and eggs, bobber and pink worm, bobber and yarn and spinners to no avail. I dropped my leaders down to 6# and used the smallest hooks I had (size 6 I think) and 1/16 weight jigs. I though afterwards that maybe plunking bait or just a bead might have worked but sounds like may not have either. Honestly I just like fishing, the catching is fun but not completely necessary. At least it sounds like it is just tough conditions and not just me. As for suggestions Matt I'd just get as small as possible with your equipment in those conditions and just keep going unless the money and time just don't make it worth it. I wish I could get out once a week! For me a non crowded day on the river where I could fish normally crowded spots at my own pace was worth the gas money. What time where you there Matt?

M
Matt
Thanks for the advice, Brewer! I'm usually using a 1/4 ounce jig. Might get some smaller one's next time. We fished from noon until 4ish. Both in mid-twenties, smoking cigarettes. It seems like the bride is 50/50 on other fisherman during the week around that time. A semi-promising hole by Hayden bride is where we go if there are cars at the bridge hole. Steelies just don't seem to want to bite anything we throw out there. I like being outdoors and enjoying nature, but it sure would be nice to find some fish..

B
brewer
That was me on the other side of the river. I would have talked to you more but I didn't want to scare the fish at all yelling across the river. I generally fish down below the Salmon deadline since I'm used to the river down there and almost never around other people. As such I don't really know the customs of fishing around others so I just tried to make sure we all had water to work. I don't know if you ever got to see those fish holding down there but there were 3 about 30 feet out and 10 feet down from where I was. I was figuring the more things we got down in front of them the better. I also wonder if the bite might have turned on more around dark but I was already late getting back to my family and another hour of that frustration and I might have just given my gear to you. I've been out with my friend in his boat a couple times this season and we haven't touched a thing. He has fished the river for years and I think this is just a difficult season. Hopefully some more rain brings the numbers up. Best of luck with the rest of this season, I hope the hours on the river pay off with a strong finish and more fish to the bank.

1 nut in the water
Matt said:
It seems like the bride is 50/50 on other fisherman during the week around that time..

Holy cow dude! Maybe you had better stay home if the bride is having other fisherman over when you are out on the river....

M
Matt
1 nut in the water said:
Holy cow dude! Maybe you had better stay home if the bride is having other fisherman over when you are out on the river....
Hahaha! I noticed after I sent that, that my phone used bride instead of bridge, but hadn't read the whole sentence..