Alsea River fishing reports

S
steelhead1
Salmon have started to stack in the lower part of the river,I have fished for the past couple of days,no luck however.LOTS of silvers,and a good amount of nooks jumpin like crazy.Oh,and I should mention there are a bunch of sea run cuts in too!Hoping the rain will turn on the bite,I will find out as I plan on fishin all weekend.:D

B
beaverfan
Man I can't wait till the coastal rivers are full of fish. Come on rain.

S
steelhead1
they are already full of fish!

C
Chedster
Good to hear the report. You fishing outta a boat or banking it? I'm hoping to get out there soon to try and bank some fish.

B
bigdog
I really want to give some of the coastal rivers a try but it is so far from where I live (portland). Alsea is like three hours from here.:(

C
Combat Chuck
Went out yesterday afternoon/evening with the same results. Saw some coho rising but no bites. Of the four other people I saw/talked to, only one hooked up and lost it 30 sec. later.

G
GoneFishin2134
I want to try this place out real soon! keep us updated, please!

BTW I went Fishing on the Wilson river last saturday hooked up with 2 nice bucks. I live in NE Portland, only took me 1hour to get there. Usually only takes me an 1 1/2 hours to get to Sand Lake, Wilson is before Tillamook. If anybody ever wants to go explore more of the Wilson PM me. I definitely would be willing to explore new waters.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would just throw big #4 and #5 spinners. No bait wasted and a good shot at hooking a chinook, well as good a shot as you can get. :)

Admin
Admin
I red that Alsea is known for it's good winter steelhead run, but never red about salmon run there. If I want to start my "Fishing for salmon" adventure - do I want to chose Alsea (looks like the closest river from Corvallis) or do I wan to chose something else (maybe Siletz) ?

M
Mike123
steelhead_stalkers said:
I would just throw big #4 and #5 spinners. No bait wasted and a good shot at hooking a chinook, well as good a shot as you can get. :)

All I used to fish was #5 and #6 spinners on the Alsea and absolutely killed the Fallies there... this year and last year have been HORRIBLE for Fall nooks.. coho have been quite numerous but they are off and on the bite so much. More so off the bite. I think a lot of people right now are targeting silvers... not worth the drive for catch and release if you ask me. Oh I did see one BIG chinook!
Right above Five Rivers! haha.. The whole top half was white and it looked at least 25-30lbs! I was just observing not fishing. Seen two cars pull in behind me.. not sure if they were gonna try and fish.. but soon as they seen me they took off pretty quickly.

T
troutmagic
I fished the Alsea this morning with no luck. Seen a couple rolling around. We need a little more rain I think. It has been slow through out the river, tidewater and the bay included. At least that's what I've heard.

M
mcbanshee
Was on the Alsea today seen lots of fish but no bite unless you count the bullheads the fish i did see were nice and bright

M
Mike123
mcbanshee said:
Was on the Alsea today seen lots of fish but no bite unless you count the bullheads the fish i did see were nice and bright

Tidewater?

S
steelhead1
I have been on the river for the last four days,and floated siletz sunday.There are still lots of fish stacking,chromers and darkies (both species),cuttthroat by the bushel.Trout seem to be be the only fish that can be enticed onto a gamagatsu with the water as low as it is.I do believe I am starting to get frustrated with salmon fishing!Went over this morning and the rain actually made the river drop..hmmm:D

T
troutmagic
steelhead1 said:
I have been on the river for the last four days,and floated siletz sunday.There are still lots of fish stacking,chromers and darkies (both species),cuttthroat by the bushel.Trout seem to be be the only fish that can be enticed onto a gamagatsu with the water as low as it is.I do believe I am starting to get frustrated with salmon fishing!Went over this morning and the rain actually made the river drop..hmmm:D

Yeah...... I was on the Alsea yesterday morning and noticed the same thing....... pooring rain...... lower river level?:think:

S
steelhead1
success at last!

success at last!

its about time,20+lb buck,10lb leader,little pink corkie and a bit of yarn.this guy ran down the falls and made me give chase!:dance::Doh yeah,rock crusher hole,Alsea.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Teo
steelhead1 said:
its about time,20+lb buck,10lb leader,little pink corkie and a bit of yarn.this guy ran down the falls and made me give chase!:dance::Doh yeah,rock crusher hole,Alsea.

I've heard of that Rock Crusher hole. A bit above Tidewater as I understand it, but don't know exactly. I don't suppose you'd like to let us know just where?

Nice Fish!

C
Chrome_Chaser
Teo said:
I've heard of that Rock Crusher hole. A bit above Tidewater as I understand it, but don't know exactly. I don't suppose you'd like to let us know just where?

Nice Fish!

I second that.

C
Chedster
The rock crusher hole is not hard to find, you'll know it when you see it... or at least I did.