Alsea River fishing reports

R
RunWithSasquatch
bythesea said:
is that a wild steelhead?? :sad:

DrTheopolis said:
Kind of a clinic on how not to handle one.

Looks like everything went great with the fish to me, as-per normal from steelhead1.

D
DrTheopolis
It's out of the water, laying on rocks.

Not OK, nor is it legal.

J
JeannaJigs
This thread will literally never die

S
steelhead1
Haha,you should have seen what I did to it afterwards! Maybe I could give you guys a call next time I go out,you could show me how to land a wild steelhead with an 11' flyrod with 12' of leader(8lb) by yourself without a net. Don't wonder why many never post anymore. I could write about puppies and rainbows,and still get flamed! Its just sad:p

D
DrTheopolis
You're clearly in the wrong, and are getting snarky when someone points that out?

S
steelhead1
DrTheopolis said:
You're clearly in the wrong, and are getting snarky when someone points that out?
Maybe,sir,you could offer some pointers on the doctors perfect technique?

D
DrTheopolis
OK... follow the guidelines in the regs.

If you can't land it without beating it up and dragging it across the rocks, cut the leader.

And I never claimed to have perfect technique. I just have respect for native fish, and would never harm one for the sake of a pic.

S
steelhead1
DrTheopolis said:
OK... follow the guidelines in the regs.

If you can't land it without beating it up and dragging it across the rocks, cut the leader.

And I never claimed to have perfect technique. I just have respect for native fish, and would never harm one for the sake of a pic.

What would you harm one for the sake of?

J
JeannaJigs
steelhead1 said:
Haha,you should have seen what I did to it afterwards! Maybe I could give you guys a call next time I go out,you could show me how to land a wild steelhead with an 11' flyrod with 12' of leader(8lb) by yourself without a net. Don't wonder why many never post anymore. I could write about puppies and rainbows,and still get flamed! Its just sad:p

This new crowd is a sensitive bunch, you would totally get flamed for puppies and rainbows.

H
halibuthitman
I would enjoy a thread about fishing for rainbows with puppy's.. Do you skate or nymph them?

O
OnTheDrop
steelhead1 said:
Low water and bright skies have made fishing on the alsea a challenge so far this year. Fish are present, but it will take some special tactics to hook up(high water, fish high, low water fish low. Gear down. Think stealth. Find places that offer cover and havn't been pounded.Early morning and late evening ect ect ect). Oh and if you plan to fish from a boat,keep in mind that it is far more technical when the water is low. Had a boat go down in front of my place recently.

Epic Fish..

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:
I would enjoy a thread about fishing for rainbows with puppy's.. Do you skate or nymph them?

Due to the excess weight, being more than the weight of say a kitten (unless we are talking about tying on a chihuahua) I'd say they would need to be nymphed, but I am no expert and could be incorrect there.

F
flytrekker1007
There are lots of people that would have bonked that fish, or like some that just drag the thing up on the rocks and jump on it.....and then realize its a wild fish. Some people are touchy when it comes to native fish, personally I wouldn't have brought it up on the rocks. I spey fish and it is hard to land a fish with a long rod, but it can be done. Hell, I haven't even landed a winter this season yet.

S
steelhead1
low water steel

low water steel

Been good on the alsea all week. Fish are starting to show in numbers all the way up to Five rivers(maybe higher, but that's as far up as I have fished). Watched a guy hook up at Clemens in about a foot of trickling water today:yikes:. Went 3/8 in a couple of hours today. The hen was chrome but her eggs were too loose to use. Oh Btw an odfw biologist was present when the wild fish was landed and released unharmed.

• DSC00809 (1).jpg
  • DSC00797 (1).jpg
Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
Shhh. There is also no winters on the Alsea..

I'm going to go hike for as long as I can downstream today from mentioned name above and see if I can find a "Cutthroat"..

Nice job,

C
Combat Chuck
FB_IMG_1450564687664.jpg
I like when I get to bring this thread back from the dead!

hobster
hobster
You get that today in high water? Excellent. Looks pretty green

C
Combat Chuck
hobster said:
You get that today in high water? Excellent. Looks pretty green
It was earlier in week. Water was still high. Its coming down right now... hope to make another trip!

S
steelhead1
Nice fish chuck! I hooked two at clemens just before the rain. When the water drops, it is on....

hobster
hobster
Right on, i was wondering how it got so green so quick. Should be great soon!