Alsea River fishing reports

S
steelhead_stalkers
I just noticed the Oregon hat and saw someone hooked up down there. You were in a great spot to throw spinners. You were one of only two fish we saw caught today.

S
Steelyfishn
Headed to the Alsea River yesterday and floated Mill Creek to Campbell. Water was a little low but definitely fish able. We saw a half dozen boats throughout the day some with fish and others without. We spent a good amount of the morning in the upper stretches pulling plugs, but no takers. As we moved on down we saw a boat below us anchored in a hole we wanted to fish. So we waited and kept our distance. We decided to anchor above and float fish bait. 3rd cast I made through the fast water and my bobber takes a violent hit... Fish On!!! Line was zipping off my reel as the fish headed down towards the other boat. I tighten the drag slightly and finally get the fish turned and as soon as he is turned he comes flying back at us. Under the boat, around the oars and through the anchor rope you know the usual 5 minutes of chaos and in the net he went!

Alsea River Fishing Reports

We continued on our way and get into my favorite stretch. We fished it with every technique the 6 rods we brought were rigged with and not a bump. So down the river we continue. We get down about a mile before Campbell and anchor up. I needed to rig my drift rod back up bit my buddy starts in floating some bait. I happen to just look up and say " this looks like good bobber water " and the bobber is inhaled. We get a good look at this little hen as she shoots out of the water 3 times and then rips 200 ft off like she was a 15lb'er. I love when the smaller ones are pissed off! She gets to the bottom and just as fast comes darting back at us. My buddy is reeling as fast as he can to keep up " come on, come on " right in the net!

Alsea River Fishing Report

D
DYJ
nice fish buddy...

(cough cough) maybe I should call in sick tomorrow. What are ya doing? :D

S
Steelyfishn
DYJ said:
nice fish buddy...

(cough cough) maybe I should call in sick tomorrow. What are ya doing? :D

:) wish I was fishing tomorrow rain forecast looks promising

Y
Yogidabear
Nice fish.

P
plumb2fish
Looks like a.pretty good day Josh, maybe I should give up on the slaw...all I can get there are Downers....

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
Looks like a.pretty good day Josh, maybe I should give up on the slaw...all I can get there are Downers....

Seems like they are all dark over there now. Been thinking about the Alsea. Nice fish BTW>

S
Steelyfishn
plumb2fish said:

Yeah I gave up on the slaw to many egg shootin hens for me plus I have been shut down there last 2 trips

T
Tacomasteelheader
We landed a 15 lber and lost a 13 pouder on the mainstem both red but the meat in the 15 was so perfect pink!!!
oh and that was yesterday

B
brewer
I was down on the Alsea today at the bridge hole. Some fish moving around but I couldn't touch anything. Still nice knowing they are there.

S
Steelyfishn
Tacomasteelheader said:
We landed a 15 lber and lost a 13 pouder on the mainstem both red but the meat in the 15 was so perfect pink!!!

Right on did you boat or bank?

S
Steelyfishn
Tacomasteelheader said:

Where are the pics?

T
Tacomasteelheader
we banked the alsea pics right here bro fish was 34.5 inches long and 19 inch girth you do the math about 15 pounder DSCF1083.jpg

and again it was a red a$$ fish but the meat was a solid bbq'ur no problem, dead serious.

C_Run
C_Run
UYxAQj0.jpg

Well, I haven't been a total slouch this season. My new personal record SMALL steelhead.

B
billfisher
Still fun C Run, beats the skunk! I got one just like her yesterday noonish, then got a bigger native about 4. Took a flip video of the the nate, but when I got home it wasn't on there! aaah operator error! Keep after em!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Sweet Chris! That thing is a dink! Still fun... nice spoon.

C_Run
C_Run
RunWithSasquatch said:
Sweet Chris! That thing is a dink! Still fun... nice spoon.

Something to eat anyway. The pic is a week old now but I think that was the same day SK20 was having his cuttie fest way upstream from where I was. A guy I talked to that day had also gotten two there the day before so there are still some around to be caught.

S
steelhead1
Alsea steelhead 2013

Alsea steelhead 2013

Low water and bright skies have made fishing on the alsea a challenge so far this year. Fish are present, but it will take some special tactics to hook up(high water, fish high, low water fish low. Gear down. Think stealth. Find places that offer cover and havn't been pounded.Early morning and late evening ect ect ect). Oh and if you plan to fish from a boat,keep in mind that it is far more technical when the water is low. Had a boat go down in front of my place recently.

B
bythesea
is that a wild steelhead?? :sad:

D
DrTheopolis
Kind of a clinic on how not to handle one.