Alsea questions

K
kingfish
I have no idea how many of you guys fish the alsea but today I did and it was a huge success I caught [and released] so many fish I couldn't keep track I was using dry flies. None of the fish I caught were over 6 inches are there just no big trout this time of year or what? Am I missing something? BTW I fished all the boat ramps from mill creek to Mike Bauer

J
JonT
Trolling again, eh?

J
JeannaJigs
It's not a trout stream, it's not stocked...what you're catching are salmon and steelhead smolt. For the love of god, dig out the hatchery release info and find a place that releases hatchery stocked fish.

K
kingfish
Just because it's not stocked doesn't mean it doesn't have trout and I said rainbows I meant cutthroats according to odfw they r considered trout and I'm not "targeting" any salmon small or otherwise it's rather annoying really if it is a crime to try and have fun catching trout I'll go to another river

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kingfish said:
Just because it's not stocked doesn't mean it doesn't have trout and I said rainbows I meant cutthroats according to odfw they r considered trout and I'm not "targeting" any salmon small or otherwise it's rather annoying really if it is a crime to try and have fun catching trout I'll go to another river

are you sure they are cutthroats? how do you distinguish between a steelhead smolt (rainbow) and cutthroat?

the concern people have is that the coastal salmon/steelhead rivers are full of smolts at this time of year that are heading to the ocean, they are feeding voraciously and thus catching them is a trivial task but only does them harm. the sea run cutthroats will be returning from the ocean later in the summer, ahead of the fall salmon runs, July-August is when people generally start targeting SRC.

cheers, roger

K
kingfish
Roger that is all fair to say yes but let's say the fish I caught were trout and b not smolt of any kind of steelhead or salmon is it fair that when I say something about the alsea or ask a question I get bombarded with criticism? I'm just a fisherman trying to find places to fish not trying to disturb any balances or eradicate species' of fish. I just want to fish that is all

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kingfish said:
Roger that is all fair to say yes but let's say the fish I caught were trout and b not smolt of any kind of steelhead or salmon is it fair that when I say something about the alsea or ask a question I get bombarded with criticism? I'm just a fisherman trying to find places to fish not trying to disturb any balances or eradicate species' of fish. I just want to fish that is all

kingfish- I think it depends on if you appear to be learning where and when to fish for certain species or if you are repeating mistakes (this would lead to justified criticism).

the Alsea supports little or no resident trout, fishing that river now you will be catching almost entirely salmon or steelhead smolts, all in the size range you identified, you will not catch larger ones. Why continue to do it? The McKenzie is a fantastic trout stream, there have been some threads and great pictures from it recently, some big trout in it, check the regs, stretches of it are C&R, others get planted with clipped trout that can be retained...Lakes are full of trout this time of year, I know lots of people that fly fish OFF of a low cost pontoon on lakes just full of trout...cheers, roger

C
coyo7e
Is the Alsea even open right now? I was under the impression that it's pretty much closed after April until August. NW area river regs say that it's open in the bay for marine and other non-salmon fish all year, but..?

Checking through your post history kingfish, it sounds as though you may have a pretty loose grasp of the difference between salmon and trout. That can be a pretty expensive mistake.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
coyo7e said:
Is the Alsea even open right now? I was under the impression that it's pretty much closed after April until August. NW area river regs say that it's open in the bay for marine and other non-salmon fish all year, but..?

Checking through your post history kingfish, it sounds as though you may have a pretty loose grasp of the difference between salmon and trout. That can be a pretty expensive mistake.

it is open under the normal zone rules for trout and all the other fish that are open when trout are open.

The reason you see the salmon and steelhead details listed for it under the Special Regs. is because under the Zone rules, those fish are "Closed in all waters unless noted by species under Special Regs".

it takes a while to get used to since Trout are open everywhere unless special regs say closed; salmon/steelhead are closed everywhere unless special regs say otherwise.

J
Jdangler xD
Fished it after it opened. A Sunday the 24th(open for trout, closed to salmon/steelhead). Caught a lot of SRC. Average 10". A few about 12-15" and I caught one at about 18" and seen a steelhead. Water levels low. ANDY they were trout, has the cut marks under the gills. However my buddy did catch a small steelhead like 8". Fishing was okay but next time I vist the alsea is won't be for sea runs.