Alsea post blow-out fishing

I
I3acon
So as most of you know, the Alsea is expected to go from 2.5 feet to somewhere between 5 and 6 feet over the next couple of days. Does anybody know how long it will take for the river to clear up and be fishable after the big rains hit on Friday and Saturday?

S
Shark 13
In my opinion I don't think this will blow out the river. It might get a little dirty with that much rain in a short period of time. With how little rain we have gotten this year. I would take advantage of this and fish it as much as possible. From Friday all through all next week should be a good time. Just remember that you wont catch any fish by sitting on your couch ;)

C
Combat Chuck
I agree. Fish the North if the main is too dirty for you. I would be out there the next few days if my car wasn't in the shop. I tried to convince a buddy to go but he thinks its too dirty to try. He hasnt caught a steelhead in years ;)

I
I3acon
Gotcha - thanks for the replies. Water color isn't really a concern from a personal standpoint, it's more about how that affects the chances of catching anything. I heard some people talking about how the Alsea was going to get "blown out" this weekend and I didn't really know what that meant or how that affected fishing. This is my first steelhead season and I'm still pretty new to fishing so I'm just trying to figure out the Alsea and how to increase my chances of catching something.

O
OnTheDrop
It's predicted to crest at 4.8 now...far from blowing out. I'd get there by Monday at the latest before it starts to turn into a trickle again...

H
hydropsyche
I haven't fished it this year but when I lived in the valley we had a cabin below Missouri bend I used to fish there every day off. In my experience it would typicly run super dirty after the first major rain event. 5 ft is pretty good level for that section up to the hatchery. If I was within 20 miles and had nothing better to do that's where I would go. I prefer off coolers water for winters anyway.

Reactions: eugene1
B
Bgunder
Hitting it tomorrow, should be fun..

O
OnTheDrop
Bgunder said:
Hitting it tomorrow, should be fun..

Get 'em Brett!

We were going to do the float above you guys but I honestly think the bulk hasn't made it up there yet...You should intercept them nicely!

We are going to go a bit North instead...

B
Bgunder
Yeah hopefully I can bonk my first winter of the season, I am very curious to see what the water color will be but I think we will have all the colors covered. I was at the liquor store today and had a slight dilemma between fireball or sinfire :D You'll just have to wait to see what I got in the fish pics hehehe.Good luck to you guys tomorrow, slay 'em!

S
steelhead1
There is a stack of fish at Clemens, you just gotta find them:)

O
OnTheDrop
Bgunder said:
Yeah hopefully I can bonk my first winter of the season, I am very curious to see what the water color will be but I think we will have all the colors covered. I was at the liquor store today and had a slight dilemma between fireball or sinfire :D You'll just have to wait to see what I got in the fish pics hehehe.Good luck to you guys tomorrow, slay 'em!

Take this..Doing a sober float! haha.

Steelhead1- I did a test run two days ago up there and spotted some beautys in between almost stepping on hundreds of dead coho. I just don't like that upper float at 3.6.

S
steelhead1
Yeah I know what you mean. I would prefer to be on foot at levels that low so high upriver.

J
jd15
perfect i know that strech like the back of my hand im gonna be there tomarrow for sure
steelhead1 said:
There is a stack of fish at Clemens, you just gotta find them:)

M
muskieguide
I was up there today and released a little guy about 3lbs or so. The water is slowly on the rise, but there have been a ton of seals and sea lions down in tidewater eatin em up. At least that's what a guy at the hatchery told me. The water was still low and clear today

M
McAuliffe25
I am thinking about going maybe in the morning. I am a college student and am new to steel head fishing. Could anyone help me by telling the best place i should go bank fishing on the alsea, what to use and anything else that could help. Any Suggestions?

I
I3acon
Muskie - Thanks for the update. Sounds like the big rains will hit Saturday and Sunday.

McAuliffe - There are many great places along the river. Basically go to any of the parks and you'll find bank access. There are many other pull-offs as well along the way. How far you go downstream is really up to you. As far as how to catch them, the best advice I can give is to use a rod and reel with some tackle. Jk. I can't offer advice because I have yet to catch one myself.

M
McAuliffe25
Thanks a lot and also does it matter how far I should be up river right know or not.

I
I3acon
McAuliffe25 said:
Thanks a lot and also does it matter how far I should be up river right know or not.
As you can see in this post, it really depends on who you talk to. Hopefully with the rain it won't matter and you hook up wherever you go!

J
jd15
Im going out there tomorrow hope to see some fellow OFF's members there whos all going out there tomorrow

S
steelhead1
Its gonna be a zoo! Ill be waiting for the crowds to disperse and hit it during the week.