Alsea Nooks/crab thiefs

F
Freeday
Fished the Alsea last Thursday and again Saturday. Total count was 7 fish on and 3 boated including a 25# hog. Had a real good time with my Brother who came from California for a visit. The exception was the dissapointment of finding our crab pots robbed, torn apart, and the bait taken. I can only hope that the individuals responsible get some karma.

• IMG-20120920-00135.jpg
  • IMG-20120929-00156.jpg
Last edited:
B
bran_man
Those are some beautiful fish! That's really too bad about the crab pots though! Are you sure it wasn't just a seal that got to them? I know theiving has been quite an issue in a few spots lately. pretty messed up

T
tomriker
i bet it was seal, why would person tear your pots up after they stole the crabs? why not just take the pots too? or just throw the pots back?
anyone want to go club seal pups? i hear it's fun

Reactions: FishNinja
F
Freeday
tomriker said:
i bet it was seal, why would person tear your pots up after they stole the crabs? why not just take the pots too? or just throw the pots back?
anyone want to go club seal pups? i hear it's fun

I would like to think that it was a seal but seeing the condition it could have only been human hands.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Freeday said:
Fished the Alsea last Thursday and again Saturday. Total count was 7 fish on and 3 boated including a 25# hog. Had a real good time with my Brother who came from California for a visit. The exception was the dissapointment of finding our crab pots robbed, torn apart, and the bait taken. I can only hope that the individuals responsible get some karma.

nice fish, we have crabbed there but never fished the Alsea, I am curious where you got into the fish, was it below the bridge (closer to the ocean) or upriver from the crabbing area? cheers,roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
My money is on seals. Put a little muskrat in there and they won't go near it. I've never been bothered with chicken but i know ppl that say they have.

T
tomriker
The last time I used chicken we could see the seals surface with a big ol chicken in their mouths just munchin alway! Stupid animals. I've got a surplus of nutria I never really thought about using them

G
grampa ron
Try Turkey. Seals leave it alone.

troutdude
troutdude
I vote for seals too. Why would humans steal your crab bait?

A
alm21
At least you were rewarded with some nice fish! What a great way to spend time with your brother.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
alm21 said:
At least you were rewarded with some nice fish! What a great way to spend time with your brother.

Fishing/Catching and Family :dance:

S
Sammykohoho
I was the brother from Cali that witnessed the crab thefts. Seals would not open the pots by the clips, they would tear the traps apart. The bait boxes were help together with bungees which were carefully removed. Plus, the pots were not bent at all except for one which was only slightly bent. One bait box was filled with Kokanee heads and was the only one that was bent and not opened by hand. Too bad. I was looking forward some tasty crab to take home along with some beautiful fillets. Seal or human, I hope they got a belly ache! lol

S
Sammykohoho
We caught the fish upriver by the resorts. A post on another site said fish are biting from Jaws(mouth of river) to tidewater.

B
Born2Fish55
If you keep getting robbed by the Crabs... and crab in the same area, try lacing your bait with razor blades and really sharp barbed stainless steel fish hooks in mesh bags on the outside of your traps... the Sea Lions learn fairly quickly that your traps 'bite'... and they are smart, they will start leaving the traps alone after a time or two... that or they get so cut up that they cannot eat... either way, it works and doesn't hurt the Crabs!

As for the two legged bandits... I hear they make pretty darn good Crab bait as well and the Sea Lions don't like the taste of them!

Top Bottom