Alsea from Ak

S
scott_rn
Hey folks - I used to live in Eugene (but left about 8 years ago) and now I need a break from the frozen rivers and short days in Alaska. I have talked two friends into going with me and we are plan to fish the alsea for a few days in mid february. We're planning on mostly fly fishing, hoping the fish counts and water levels will cooperate.

The alsea is the only place I fished winter steelhead, but we have a rental car and 4 days. I figure the siltez may be a backup plan if the alsea isn't fishing well. If anyone has any advice on where to camp, flies to use, other places to chase winter metalheads, places to eat besides burgerville, etc. We are open to suggestions. Thanks for any help.

S
scott_rn
Well folks, I called half (or more) of the fly shops in the state and a few different biologists. We spent one day on the umpqua (north and south forks), two on the coquille and half a day on the alsea. Nice break from the frozen wasteland where they started the iditarod this weekend. I wish you all would have had a little rain before we got there, but we still had a great time.
20130215_100858_zps49be8d29.jpg
20130214_115845_zps577bd77f.jpg
20130216_115946_zps84a65e53.jpg

M
MattZ
great parting shot! i hear ya about the rain. for many reasons, including the fishing.

E
eugene1
Glad you guys got to enjoy a little more "potential" sun than up in AK.

Good looking pics!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Pretty photo of your fish... glad you got to wrestle a little while you were here. Thanks for sharing.

N
nativefish
Glad you had a good time!

B
bigsteel
excellent fish,looks like you had a great trip