All around steelhead rod....

F
fshotshots
I am new to the small river steelhead scene and am currently using a 7' spinning setup. It works fine bouncing eggs and yarn balls, but its a pain fishing float and jigs. Any suggestions on some reasonable priced float rods? Ideally would be nice to get 2 if the price was right so I could get my 10yr old son on some steelies.

Thanks for any help...

M
masmith
fshotshots said:
I am new to the small river steelhead scene and am currently using a 7' spinning setup. It works fine bouncing eggs and yarn balls, but its a pain fishing float and jigs. Any suggestions on some reasonable priced float rods? Ideally would be nice to get 2 if the price was right so I could get my 10yr old son on some steelies.

Thanks for any help...

Got a 9'6" lamiglas at Fisherman's last week medium/light w/ fast action- perfect for bobber or drifting for under $90. Your 7' would work for throwing spinners, I have basically the same setup.

A
adambomb
I have a Northriver rod that I use for float fishing. It is only 8' but it works for me. I would not recommend anything under 9'. I use braid for float fishing because it seems to be easier to mend and floats well. My next rod is going to be a 9'6" or 10', two piece, 10-30lb, medium/heavy action. Hopefully I will be able to drift and float fish with the same rod.

Diehard
Diehard
celilo rods

celilo rods

go to a bimart and get a nine foot six rod with a six to twelve pound rateing this rod is made by celilo/okuma i think there fifty something dollars and they are the poor boy fish killers i have one and i love it did i mention there cheap ive had mine for three yrs and it has handled the abuse well

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Poor gals need nice rods,too

Poor gals need nice rods,too

Diehard said:
go to a bimart and get a nine foot six rod with a six to twelve pound rateing this rod is made by celilo/okuma i think there fifty something dollars and they are the poor boy fish killers i have one and i love it did i mention there cheap ive had mine for three yrs and it has handled the abuse well

I checked the same rods at Dicks & Wholesale Sports this weekend. They are about the same price. I plan on going back to get one later this week. The crowds wore me down and drove me out the door...Aaarrgh...:rolleyes: :lol:

M
meluvtrout
If there's one thing I learnt when it comes to buying rods that would have been : BUY RODS WITH LIFE TIME WARRANTY!
Pay 20 bucks more and buy a 9'6" Shimano Cennan from Fisherman's Marine for $78.88. It's a discontinued rod that used to sell for $200 and comes with LTW. Call (503) 557-3313 and see if they'll still honor their ad from Friday(I was there on Saturday and picked up one)...

P
plumb2fish
Broken cheapo rod = $50 new cheapo rod
Broken life time warranted rod = $0-$50 new high end rod
Lamiglas Gloomis Rogue Shimano ect

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
If you look around you can find some nice high end rods for half price or less. If you buy one of these and you break it (your fault) it will still be warranted with a small fee from the mfgr. If it breaks from normal use, (this will be decided by warranty dept.)you pay only shipping in most cases.
I got tired of breaking cheapo rods and having to replace them every so often. So I finally shelled out the money for a few spendier models and have replaced all of them at least once and paid $70 total for well over $1500 retail worth of equiptment. I am kind of hard on my tools I guess:D

H
halibuthitman
there is a lot to be said for a nice expensive rod.. but my okuma back-up rod has survived 22 round trips on commercial airlines....:shock: any nicer of a rod would have been stolen already. A guide friend once told me you should spend 3 dollars for every day of the year you fish, and you should never wear out your stick.

P
plumb2fish
I have a couple Buzz Ramsey rods(very good rods) as well as a couple Lami imports(not my gotos) that are my back up/ loaner gear. I like that $3 a day thing, I'll have to try and get the wife to buy into that plan. I could always use more gear.:D

Last edited: