Algae warnings issued on Lane County reservoirs

W
womanwhofishes
Health authorities today issued toxic algae advisories for Dexter and Dorena reservoirs.
The state Department of Human Services said water tests showed high levels of potentially harmful blue-green algae at Dexter reservoir, 22 miles southeast of Eugene, and Dorena reservoir, six miles east of Cottage Grove.
Blue-green algae that can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals, said Laura Boswell, Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance program coordinator for the state.
People should avoid swallowing or inhaling water droplets, and humans and animals should avoid skin contact with the water, the state said. Drinking water the reservoirs is particularly dangerous, the state said. Campers and other visitors need to remember that the algae toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water, Boswell said.
The state said that people can still use the reservoir areas for camping, hiking, biking, picnicking, catch-and-release fishing and bird watching. Boating is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk, the state said.

Reactions: Troutski
J
JeannaJigs
I saw this coming! Hills creek had it, so it's only natural that it would migrate downstream. 'Tis the Season. I am really hoping the coastal lakes don't get it this fall during coho season...that stuff is icky.

F
FernRidgeChamp
JeannaJigs said:
I saw this coming! Hills creek had it, so it's only natural that it would migrate downstream. 'Tis the Season. I am really hoping the coastal lakes don't get it this fall during coho season...that stuff is icky.

Seriously, have a tripped plan to Tenmile at the end of the month, it's had it 2 out of the 3 last years I've gone.

J
JeannaJigs
Siltcoos had it either last year or the year before....year before I believe...my years are running together...either way it was during the fall Coho season and it really was not awesome.

R
rainbowfisherman
has anyone every fished the row river that runs through cottage grove? if so where are some good spots to fish it at...?